Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite AR-15/M4 style rifle

Default Whats your favorite AR-15/M4 style rifle

I figured I would start a thread about people's favorite tactical carbine and they like it. What optics do you use on your set up. Whats your favorite ammo and why? I'm hoping to get feed back on any 5.56 (.223) or 7.62x51mm (.308). I have owned quite a few different carbines in my life from DI AR's to piston operated. 5.56 and 7.62's. My favorite right now happens to be a piston operated LWRC Tricon in 5.56.

Its not really the look of the gun I like so much as to its uncanny ability to be spot on. If have shot it in some very extreme temps down to -30 ambient with no issues at all. I have yet to find any manufacturer of ammo that it will not shoot. Albeit it was very exspensive, I haven't come across to many other guns that perform as well as it does. Not saying there aren't out there, I know they are. I just haven't had the opportunity to shhot one myself. I currently have an Aimpoint CompM4S on it as my optic and can shoot very reliably out to 200yds. So what AR do you have and why do you like it so much. Pictures would be nice to go with your post. Here's a few pictures of some of my guns. LWRC Tricon and DPMS LRT SASS. My SASS has a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14x40mm scope, and an ACC Black-Out Muzzle brake/supressor adapter and a fluted bull-barrell.

Last edited by Murphy; 05-15-2012 at 19:01. Reason: Change title

Tactical setups for this fat old guy:

My LTC for the car is a Colt 6920 with the carry handle sights, KAS surplus military rails with nothing hanging on them, and 12 Fusil mags. Thats for if I am caught away from home when the zombie apocolypse hits. I don't use an optic as I can wack a silouhette all day long prone at 300 yards with open sights.

My MBR is a tuned M1A, all military parts (except receiver). No optics or rails. Thats my house gun for when the zombies get past my LR shots. MOA at 100

My LRTR is a Blaser LRS2 in either 308 or 6.5x55 with a Hensoldt 4-16 FF on QD mount and TBAC Titanium can. Sub moa at 600 meters if I can do my part, shoots as fast as a semi due to the straight pull

Handuns: BHP and SIG210 in 9mm. I engage the zombies with the 210 first as at 100 yards, it is a bit more accurate than the BHP.

Gotta love the colts. I don't know why more people don't buy them. My next AR will be a 6920 as well. Every body talks about the LMT, Noveske etc.. as being the top dogs. They do make great products but, who has the contract for all branches of the US Mil. Ahem, Colt. (Not getting into SOF Units). Colt just makes quality stuff. Period. I like your handgun selection too. I also have a Sig. I have the P220 Combat .45 ACP

....had the contract. It looks like Remington has it now. Although I haven't dug very deep into that situation. But, totally agree about Colt quality. Used one for a long time with no issues.

My new favorite will have to be my Windham Weaponry I'm getting in about 10 day. I hope it is still my favorite in 11 days.

FN has the contract for M16's now

Original M16's were also made by various mfr's, to include Colt, GM Hdyromatic is one that comes to mind

Colt had the M4 contract for while, not sure if it is in place now

Border Patrol just bought a bunch of Colt 7.62 Nato AR's down in Texas, reports are glowing, afte some magazine hickups

I have a couple AR15performance built 6.8x43 uppers that I slapped on Stag lowers with MOE stocks and grips and Timney triggers. Pretty sweet rigs to say the least! Now if the rumors of Federal mil-surp ammo shake out I will be in heaven!

Mine hasn't been created yet:

A saiga carbine rebored to 358 Winchester. I don't even know if it's possible. But as I progress towards a hermit on my remote property, I hope to have a working model sitting on my front porch.

All carbines by their very nature are "tactical". They can't be "strategic".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Old m-2 carbine
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    All carbines by their very nature are "tactical". They can't be "strategic".
    It's always good to hear from you, even smart ass remarks like that. How are things going up your way. Love the FAL....it was put together right.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I do like the LWRC guns. I have a ceracoated M-6 that carries an Aimpoint M4 comp 2 min dot and Troy fold down sights. I found neat carbine recently, a Sig 556 Russian. The 550 series are the Swiss AK's anyway and they finally made one in 7.62x39. It is 16" bbl with an Aimpoint PRO on it. I swapped the furniture for complete set of O.D. Swiss style. Looks nicer fits better. It is about 1.5 MOA out to 250 or so with that dot. I have diopter sights ordered for this carbine and it weighs 7.5# with the dot..

My strategic rifles would include an M1A with match sights and scope mount, a DSA FAL (my main MBR) and a POF SASS entry 308 with 20" bbl and 4-12 x50 Swarovski with a funcky dotted reticle. I do have an original Knights, Stoner Mk11 (SR-25) with a dozen mags and an O.D. AR-10 Armalite but its more of a carbine so I guess it's in the tactical column.

Favorite??!! The apocalypse will be over before I can pick a favorite but I do like that little Sig 7.62x39.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Tactical is a poor word for weapons as well as assault. A trained fist is a fine assualt weapon and tactics can call for attacks from the fist to arc-light.Close quaters combat firearm and sniper firearm may be better trend words.Gun writers realy need to stop thinking up words to call things.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ok. New Thread title. What is your favorite AR15/M4 and why....

A true assault rifle would be the AK-47. Designed to be used on the move. The second stage of the attack, charging from the fox hole or cover.

However an assault rifle MUST be.
    Full-auto capable.
    of Intermediate Caliber. Not full power battle rifle cartridge or pistol caliber sub-gun.
    Have quick reloading capability (detachable, high capacity magazine)
    Be lighter weight(?) Original milled AK weighed about 9.25#
    And be shorter and more maneuverable than the Battle rifle.

Some examples.
    AK-47
    VZ-58
    SiG 550
    Stg 44
    M-4

As to reply to posts below... Remington does have the M4A1 contract now for the ARMY. They also have the contract for the M24A2 .300WM sniper rifle.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

I know NSW have almost scrubbed the Scar and are going towards the H&K 416.

double tap

Quote Originally Posted by AKAssasin View Post
    Ok. New Thread title. What is your favorite AR15/M4 and why....
    OK...Sorry.

The LWRC M6 SL (stretch Lightweight) 6.25# with sights. With the PRO on top 7 pounds even. Piston driven, Mag-Pul MOE for-end and six position stock. We've run about 900 rounds through this one so far with the Mag Pul 30 P-mags. It is lovely and very accurate. Lots of guys borrow it for shoots and just love it. I have an angled fore-grip on it and that seems to fit and work for everyone. But I still really like the little Sig.

Where did you get that sling on your M6?

I agree. As a moderator do you have the ability to change the Thread title? Could you and would you please change it to
    What is your favorite AR15/M4 and why....

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A true assault rifle would be the AK-47. Designed to be used on the move. The second stage of the attack, charging from the fox hole or cover.

However an assault rifle MUST be.
    Full-auto capable.
    of Intermediate Caliber. Not full power battle rifle cartridge or pistol caliber sub-gun.
    Have quick reloading capability (detachable, high capacity magazine)
    Be lighter weight(?) Original milled AK weighed about 9.25#
    And be shorter and more maneuverable than the Battle rifle.

Some examples.
    AK-47
    VZ-58
    SiG 550
    Stg 44
    M-4

off topic but this link is a great source for military contracts. Breaks down what company, what the contract is for and how much it was.

http://www.militaryindustrialcomplex...ts-listing.asp

My favorite tactical carbine is a Marlin Marauder....followed closely by a Winchester 94.

For something a little more modern the Steyr Scout is pretty nice.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast