Thread: Middle fork chena river float hunt

Default Middle fork chena river float hunt

Greetings all,

I was able to secure moose cow tags for myself and two of my sons (DM743).

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm743.pdf

Unfortunately, I was tasked in Jan '12 for an unscheduled deployment and will not be back to AK until late July so I am going to have very limited time to scout the area. At this point, I am thinking a float hunt trip down the middle fork chena river. I am looking for any intel regarding the floatability of the river and any advice on the logistics. And, of course, if anybody has hunted the area, I would appreciate any info about moose sitings and kills.

Im looking fowared to getting back to AK - I cannot think of a better way to be with my boys after a deployment than spending several days camping/floating and hunting in the AK wilderness. As always, I appreciate any help and advice!

Couple of things.

First you can access the lower part of your hunt from the road yes you may walk about 800 yards however it is doable just happen to have the same draw a couple of years back.

Concerning floating the Air strip located at the mining operation is flown into by several people each year. Normal water level the float is not bad at all. High water lots of sweepers a and a few strainers can be a bummer. You can float the entire thing in a day or two however hunting it I would take 5-6 just to be able to actaully hunt it. Expect to find people in several places along that section of river. With Gold Prices us there are now Claims up the Yazoo up there all placier mines.

That being said the lower section has several oxbows as well as old ponds with elevation near by. By lower section I am referring to the last 8 miles prior to hitting the North Fork. You can pull out there by lining your boat up the 1/2 mile back to the road really it is no big deal. Go out to Google Maps the photo is not that grand but you will find the Oxbows and PondsI refer to in this post for Cow Moose. It would be my go to place with that permit.

Just my 82 cents worth of data. Thank you for your service and best wishes with your hunt.

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting
    USAF Retired.

Moose has good information there. I have hunted the Middle Fork several times with a buddy. We would put canoes in at the bridge 1/2 mile upstream of the confluence, floated down to it, and then lined our canoes upstream several miles to our favorite site (near a bluff, oxbows and ponds). One year we caught a ride upstream from another friend with a sport jon and rafted out. During moose season there is plenty of activity on the river; jet and airboats, especially over the weekend. Bring fishing gear for grayling. I caught my largest grayling up there with it measuring 21.5" on a blue dunn dry fly.
    Good luck on your adventure and your service to our country in much appreciated!

Gentlemen,
    Any updates on Middle Chena? I'm considering a late Sept bow hunt. Is the winter trail passable in the valley? Can a person walk into the valley? I'd like to walk in and float a critter out. How's prospects for a bull?
    thx,
    Tom

PM sent.

AZinAK

It's called the "winter trail" for a reason.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"