Thread: Crowning question:

Default Crowning question:

If I re-crown my muzzle to smooth out a nick will I have to zero my rifle again?

There's only one way to find out...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Probably not,crowns are made to big a deal over.Many very fine target rifles have no crown at all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably not,crowns are made to big a deal over.Many very fine target rifles have no crown at all.
    Gotta disagree with you on that,any rifle built by a professional will have a crown,maybe not a recessed or stepped configuration,but the muzzle end of the rifling will have a slight bevel,that is the crown.The crown is a big deal where accuracy is concerned.Re-crowning a rifle is a risky business,you either improve or further degrade the accuracy.

Does the nick affect accuracy? If it shoots just like it always has and you don't have a lathe I would caution you to leave it alone. Hand drills and files have degraded many a rifles accuracy after it's owner read a how-to in a gun magazine.

Yeah, its an old .303 Enfield that someone worked over in a past life. The muzzle was butchered, so I filed it flat, polished it and crowned it using a fine abrasive Dremel bit and water followed by 600gr sandpaper. Even with a new nick, it is still shooting a 2" group at 100 yds (don't tell the bench rest folks, but I'm really unsophisticated when it comes to range action). I may just leave well enough alone, but that nick bugs me...
    This has a 2-groove rifled barrel, which may make it more or less persnickety if I change things... don't know.

With close to perfect flat you can get your muzzle light bands square instead of thousandths.In the black powder target days folks had what is called crown today in their muzzle to fit the seating tool and the rest is history
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Depends on ones accuracy standards, but to get top notch accuracy an accurately cut concentric crown is essential. I would be highly suprised to see a group fired of moa or under from a gun with a poor crown.

As to changing POI, depending how bad the ding is, it just might shift the POI.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

What Paul said, it do matter but not as much as the hype would say. If the nick extends into the edge of the bore where it can contact the bullet it can have a dramatic effect though. Just a nick on the radius of the crone away from the bore opening will have some effect but not very much in reality. The main function of a crown is to protect the end of the bore itself by recessing it deeper than the surrounding steel because turning loose of the bullet evenly is very critical.

But to answer the original question . . . maybe and maybe not, but if you have a “zero” you like why mess with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona