Thread: craigslist ad for Copperhead dealer in Eagle River

Default craigslist ad for Copperhead dealer in Eagle River

Surprise to me ... found an ad by a Copperhead dealer (in Eagle River) on craigslist ...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2984976281.html

He has a Facebook page ...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shall...83591908322501

Here's hopin' that S-Ds get the attention they deserve for use, up here.

Are there other dealers for mud motors in Alaska? Actual stocking dealers? We use to have dealers for Go-Devil and Pro-Drive in the Fairbanks area, but don't hear much about them anymore. And don't know about South Central Ak. Or, are most people buying S-Ds ordering directly from the maker?

That fella bought three or four last season. He goes by the name of Nate. He's been trying to sell them for sometime now, he also carries other brands too. After talking with him, I think he shot a bear during a hunt last season with the 18 hp.

Surprise to me, after you so thoroughly attempted to bash the Copperhead motors on another forum, that you'd be interested in them(bait)?

Surface drives are in use all over the Tanana and the Yukon for many years. I've seen some very old one tied off on the Yukon in Eagle, aint nothing new. First Copperhead in Alaska was a 6.5 horse on a Grumman Freighter that runs up the Charley River back in 2009.

There is a Go-Devil dealer here in Anchorage, I flagged him over to my hooligan hole when him n his buds weren't catching them. About 10 months later, he stopped by to take a look at the first Copperhead 12 hp in Alaska that was sitting in my garage.

just curious, how many times did he have to shoot the bear with the 18 hp, and what kind of penetration did he get.

Mainer,
    Have you ever had a chance yet to try the copperhead 18? I'm curious how it would work on a large freighter. It sounds like the 12 worked pretty well, maybe the 18 would be even better with a heavy load?

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    just curious, how many times did he have to shoot the bear with the 18 hp, and what kind of penetration did he get.

It'd be tough holding that 18hp Copperhead up and steady enough to draw a bead.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Mainer,
    Have you ever had a chance yet to try the copperhead 18? I'm curious how it would work on a large freighter. It sounds like the 12 worked pretty well, maybe the 18 would be even better with a heavy load?
    Pm'd yah about a test drive, though it may be difficult to shoot a bear with the motor!

I talked today to Nate Troumley, of Shallow Water Outboards Alaska, in Eagle River, the gent who put the ad for Copperhead mud motors on Craigslist. Seems like a very nice, low key individual. Definitely not a blowhard pitching hype. He's been using S-D motors for 3 years on the waters of South Central. Has a range of experience with a variety of brands. Further, he stocks Copperheads; he doesn't just order your motor from the factory for you. Apparently there are MudBuddy, GoDevil and, I believe he said, Gatortail dealers in the Anchorage area. Nice for potential customers to be able to survey the market before buying. I plan on visiting him on my next trip down south. Like here in the Interior, S-D mud motors are uncommon in the Archorage area, but interest is growing as the word gets out.

Mainer said above ...

"Surface drives are in use all over the Tanana and the Yukon for many years. I've seen some very old one tied off on the Yukon in Eagle, aint nothing new. First Copperhead in Alaska was a 6.5 horse on a Grumman Freighter that runs up the Charley River back in 2009."

Perhaps to a cheechako, 2009 was a long time ago. Long time Alaskan residents know that Longtails, particularly GoDevils, have been all over Alaska for a long time, but not S-D mud motors. They are a relatively new thing. (I took a demo ride with a GoDevil powered boat in the early 90's.) Surface-Drive, short shaft, belt driven mud motors didn't reach production until 2000 or 2001, and, as of yet, haven't had significant sales up here. It's still a developing technology that's worthy of your attention. I know of 4 other guy in the Fbks area who have S-D motor on their rigs; I've only seen 2 others on the rivers. Nate said it was much the same in his area. But we both agree that will soon change.

By the way, he shot his bear, last fall, while he was waiting for his Copperhead18 to be delivered.

Don't know who you're referring to regarding "blowhards" or "hype", but again, I still don't understand why you'd be so interested in Copperhead motors when you so thoroughly bashed them (based off here-say) in another forum?

http://mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/viewt...hp?f=5&t=20208

As to the SD's being in use for many years, ask the Go-Devil and Muddbuddy dealers, they've been selling them for quite some time now, pardon me if I consider a decade long enough time for word to have thoroughly spread about surface drives. I snapped a picture of a Mudbuddy surface drive that was quite a few years old in Eagle. In regards to the "cheechako" comment, oh Rick.........if only I could someday aspire to be the prestigious Sourdough that you are.

As I have said before, I have nothing against Copperhead ... at all. I have no particular brand loyalty. I'm interested in S-D motors, their development and acceptance in Alaska. I have nothing to sell. My posts are for information only, not part of a business model or an ego exercise. Ditch the chip on your shoulder ... not everything is about you. Some of us post here when we see information on Craigslist or other places that may be of interest to readers of this canoeing forum. Various boats and canoes for sale, etc. I appreciate others doing it, and I, too, will continue.

And as HUNT4DEER posted in the thread you reference ...

"mainer, not to butt in, but you confirmed the problems that endgame mentioned. i dont really understand why you got upset."
    And neither do I.

My parents and elders taught me to be polite and never toot my own horn.