Thread: 2012 Annual parking pass cost in Whittier?

Default 2012 Annual parking pass cost in Whittier?

Can anyone tell me what this year's annual parking pass costs for the lot in Whittier? Trying to decide if it is worth buying a season pass or just pay as we go.

Thanks in advance!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

$630+ including tax. No kiss, no happy ending, and no grading of the parking lot. Welcome to whittier, eh?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What spoiled one said.........

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thanks for the reply spoiled one. Wow.....$630. The last time I checked it was like $450. Pretty sure I will not get my money out of that......guess I'll pay as I go.

Thank you too Roger. You got your post in while I was reading and replying to his!!

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Like how it says....Vehicles failing to do so will be immobilized,What they going to do let the air out of the tires
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Like how it says....Vehicles failing to do so will be immobilized,What they going to do let the air out of the tires
    They chain a big steel barrel to it. This has been the price for the past two or three seasons. When Ben ran it, we would get a break if we only stayed through September. Apparently they spent $25K clearing snow this April. Juan was going to raise the annual parking fee but chose not to.

Man and I thought I had it bad at the Deshka landing at least they are improving things at the landing
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    They chain a big steel barrel to it. This has been the price for the past two or three seasons. When Ben ran it, we would get a break if we only stayed through September. Apparently they spent $25K clearing snow this April. Juan was going to raise the annual parking fee but chose not to.
    Is Ben out of it now?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

So it looks like you have to go over 63 days a year to make any money off of that deal......that sounds like a rip off, but people pay so why not. How many people actually go to whittier over 63 days in one year???? be honest. I am sure there are some of you, but that sounds like a whole lot of days and not a lot of summer......

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Is Ben out of it now?

Apparently so. Juan said that he is running the show now.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    So it looks like you have to go over 63 days a year to make any money off of that deal......that sounds like a rip off, but people pay so why not. How many people actually go to whittier over 63 days in one year???? be honest. I am sure there are some of you, but that sounds like a whole lot of days and not a lot of summer......
    One thing you haven't considered is the price of the tunnel changes when you are towing. It ranges from $20 to $300 if over 10 foot wide. Not to mention the wear and tear of towing something that ways several tons.

I didn't spend 60 days in Whittier last season, but did spend close to 60 days out on the Sound. What a playground.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I will be at 20 days I would have paid parking by the end of May and that doesn't include the week I paid before the lot was open... I doubt I will be at 60 by the end of the year but I will be close. If you factor in the minimum of an extra $23 a trip ($35 if I am towing the boat) through the tunnel I have to pay then by the end of May I will be $138 ahead there, so based on my math by the end of May I would have been into it $338... I will get my $630 worth by the end of the summer and I will have saved all the wear and tear on the trailer and truck. The gas at the dock costs more but when I factor in the extra gas in my truck to tow the boat back and forth from Wasilla its a wash. So I will be ahead overall. That's my situation so it works well for me.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Yeah, it sucks, but...

With the stress of getting the OVERSIZE permits, occasional hassles at the tunnel or weigh stations, and towing back and forth in traffic on the Seward Hwy while worrying about trailer brakes and bearings, I guess I'll go for another annual pass as we've done for the last 6 years. If I had a smaller boat that did not require the OVERSIZE permits and associated irritants, I'd definitely do the "per trip" parking rates.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Apparently so. Juan said that he is running the show now.
    Juan told me he expected this rate to stay for a few years as he thought it was a fair price. If they really spent 25K in snow removal which I would believe based on the amount of snow and machinery that was there he needs to park 42 boats before he even starts making money to pay toward the lease.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!