Thread: Shipping to lower 48??

Default Shipping to lower 48??

Hello all... I'm new to the site and I have the once in a lifetime opportunity to head up to Alaska this fall and hunt Caribou. I have a friend who moved up there almost 2 years ago and he invited me up. We are going to do some Caribou hunting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my caribou (if I'm lucky enough) back down to the lower 48?? I live in New England and I'm thinking about having everything shipped via trucking company. I don't really trust the airlines. Would that be something a game processor would know about?? If anyone has any suggestions, I do appreciate it. Right now I have more questions than answers!

I would start with Carlile 907-276-7797. I know they do freeze, but not sure where or when. they do have a terminal in Minnesota, so you know from here to there would be some where to start.
    if not then I bet they would have more suggestions for you.

Isn't there a fella on this site that does a lower 48 run each fall with a reefer truck and hauls out game meat and antlers??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

the airlines is the way to go. I would ship all of your gear back via the postal service then freeze your meat and bring it back yourself. Much cheaper to bring it back on the plane as excess baggage than to have a processor send it fedex. Just hit walmart there and pick up some coolers, then weigh it out to max of just under a hundred pounds for each cooler. If I remember right it's the 58 quarts. Send the money and get the extremes.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    the airlines is the way to go. I would ship all of your gear back via the postal service then freeze your meat and bring it back yourself. Much cheaper to bring it back on the plane as excess baggage than to have a processor send it fedex. Just hit walmart there and pick up some coolers, then weigh it out to max of just under a hundred pounds for each cooler. If I remember right it's the 58 quarts. Send the money and get the extremes.
    That's what I did when Dad and I killed elk in CO. Froze it, put it in coolers, and it came up with us on the plane. It was still frozen when we got here.....

Thanks for the advice!! I'll be using Logan Airport out of Boston. The issue I'm having is if I ship my meat back using the airlines, when I arrive in Boston, I still have to use a shuttle service to get to my drop-off in Rhode Island. That means I may be toting around hundreds of pounds of meat with me threw the airport and onto the shuttle. The reason I'm departing and arriving from Boston is that they have flights w/ only one layover to and from Anchorage, where as flights from/to T.F. Green out of Providence has multiple layovers adding hours to my travel. Has anyone used Glenns Wild Game Processing and/or Alaskan Meat Express (hauling)??

Quote Originally Posted by Caribouhunter10 View Post
    Thanks for the advice!! I'll be using Logan Airport out of Boston. The issue I'm having is if I ship my meat back using the airlines, when I arrive in Boston, I still have to use a shuttle service to get to my drop-off in Rhode Island. That means I may be toting around hundreds of pounds of meat with me threw the airport and onto the shuttle. The reason I'm departing and arriving from Boston is that they have flights w/ only one layover to and from Anchorage, where as flights from/to T.F. Green out of Providence has multiple layovers adding hours to my travel. Has anyone used Glenns Wild Game Processing and/or Alaskan Meat Express (hauling)??
    I would be willing to bet that you would have more than 2 coolers full, and thats what they make those nice airport carts that you pay $4.00 for.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I agree the Postal Service for gear is the way to go. Used that method for Caribou in 08 and Bear last year. Only took gun case and Coleman 5 day coolers on the plane. Gotta watch the weight tho, it isn't 100 lbs as I found out with my bear skull and hide last year. Cooler weighed 64 lbs and I was charged $100 for over-sized, still not bad considering what you're bringing home. And I'm not attempting to step on toes here, but I've had 2 trips and brought 6 coolers of meat and fish and such, but even de-boned, I can't see you getting 100lbs in a cooler, JMO(my black bear was 6+ft and I listed that weight above). Good luck on your hunt

I've been shipping meat with Alaska Airlines since the early 1990's. They have freezer space in each airport they service and the charge is something like $0.50/lb. It helps to be a known shipper, just contact them and fill out the paperwork. I would do that with whichever airline you are going to fly with. I always air freight my camping gear ahead so it is waiting when I get to my destination, better than taking it with you and have it not make a connection. Jim

do a search for alaska meat express

Last year we got a moose and then about 100lb of Halibut. 8 total boxes of meet in large fish boxes. $200 on the airline. $25 a box. Way cheaper than shipping it all back. Horn's were $100.

My brother ships it as his baggage every time he comes up. We bone it, throw it in the freezer and pack it in 50 pound fish boxes prior to departure. You are not going to get hundreds of pounds of caribou meat unless you take multiple caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by tuna771 View Post
    I Cooler weighed 64 lbs and I was charged $100 for over-sized, still not bad considering what you're bringing home. And I'm not attempting to step on toes here, but I've had 2 trips and brought 6 coolers of meat and fish and such, but even de-boned, I can't see you getting 100lbs in a cooler,
    I had 4 coolers that I brought back. Two were 93 lbs, one was 92 lbs. and one was 84 lbs. The reason for the last being lighter was that was the end of my share of the meat. Meat was all wrapped and then we vacuum packed ourselves with a machine that we rented in anchorage. Took us about half a day to do a whole moose minus one quarter. The idea is to take each cooler as close to the 100 lbs mark. You pay the overweight fee but its cheaper that way than paying for more bags. I can't remember but the cost effectiveness works up until you hit 4 coolers. It does become expensive but buy the time you have figured in what you have in getting that meat the shipping part is about 2 dollars a pound and thats cheap so I bring all I can. The same really goes for fish.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Just my experience May '11 with Continental. I would imagine different airlines, different fees. I flew up United and didn't have any excess fees. Only coming home. Guess any way to rob the hard working/hard playing people to line their pockets.

The one thing it appears we all definitely agree, seems to me anyway, flying it on the airline is the way to go. Happy hunting all, best of luck on your upcoming pursuits!

Thanks for all the input guys! As far as I can tell, most people just ship on the airlines and pay the fees. I'll keep it in mind. I've never flown and this is my first trip so all the input including the carts for $4 at the airports is appreciated. Honestly, I just don't want any headaches. Who does?? I will have multiple tags and the hunt is a combination hunt, so it is possible having a couple hundred pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Isn't there a fella on this site that does a lower 48 run each fall with a reefer truck and hauls out game meat and antlers??
    Yes sir, that'd be me. I haul moose and caribou meat & antlers from Alaska, and deliver to the lower 48 starting in Montana all the way to Michigan and states in between. However, I don't think my service would be much help to caribouhunter10 as he's in Rhode Island and I don't get that far east.

379 Peterbilt, thank you for responding. I was looking at your website last night and noticed that Michigan was about as far east as you came. If you find that you have clients this far east and a trip out here would be worth it for you, let me know. Again... thanks.

Has anyone used Glenns Wildgame Processing out of Anchorage??