Thread: Need Help! POW/MIA Hill memorial

Talking Need Help! POW/MIA Hill memorial

A fallen Marine has asked that his ashes be poured out on top of MIA/POW hill near Pionear Peak. We have GPS cordinances to help find it but we were wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to exactly where and how we could get their?? Also, is their still too much snow to make this hike by this comming weekend? Please, any help would make an old Marine's wish come true!

Thanks,

Casey

I don't know the specific location you're referring to, but if it's above 1,000' you'll be dealing with a lot of snow. The Pioneer Ridge trail likely won't be free of snow for a couple of weeks yet, or so I would assume.

If there's anything I can do to help make this happen, let me know. I could fly up over it to take a look at conditions from the air. Heck, I'd be willing to help with an air-drop of the ashes over the area, but it might not be ideal since they would drift away on the wind most likely. My grandparents were put on Mount Susitna in such a way, but if there is a specific location he wanted, it would be much more precise on foot.

Brian,

Thank you so much for offering your help!! thats outstanding! We have a group of Marines who want to honor this man so I know they will want to go by foot. I will get the GPS coodinances and post them and maybe you could point us in the correct direction. All I know is its near pioneer Peak. I figured the snow would still be too much currently, and this can wait a couple more weeks. We are just trying to get a visual on where we need to go! I have hiked pioneer Ridge trail before but i dont remember a sign or any marker saying POW/MIA memorial Ridge that way^ kind of thing..... All I know is it exists.... I will post info on how we can be helped as i get it! Thank you again Sir!

Casey

Lat:61-26'47"N
    Long:149-11'47"W
    Lat:61.4463889
    Long:-149.1963889
    It's different on a couple of sights that i've checked but their is a POW/MIA flag at the top, I've heard the best way to take it was from the South side. Anyone have any info???

I've never been up there, but it looks like it is at about 4300ft elevation, so still snow right now. Seems you would start on the Twin Peaks Trail out of Eklutna Campground. Once up at the East Twin Peak you would need to walk the ridge down/west over to the POW/MIA mountain. It doesn't look like there is any shorter way unless they wanted to bushwack straight up the mountainside from either the Old Glen Highway or the Eklutna access road.

I've never been there....but I did find this on it.

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/POWMIA.htm

http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/f...hp?f=29&t=1281

"This hike is quite unknown to the general public and can be difficult. The trail starts just after mile 5 on Eklutna Lake Road. Parking is at the Eklutna Lake or at pull-offs along the road. Please do not park in driveways unless permission is granted. To be more specific, electrical pole 85. There is survey tape and somewhat of a rough trail for about the first half mile. The trail disappears into a field and is continued in a draw in the far end of the field. After the majority of the elevation gain to the ridge line, the ridge is followed to the summit of the mountain. At the summit there is a POW /MIA flag, register, and plaque dedicated to James Wesley Widdis, Jr. Northwest of the summit, about 100 feet, if there is little or no snow, is a picnic table for picnicking pleasure."

Here is your coordinates, posted on at topo map. I also served as a Marine. a long time ago. Semper Fi.

Mt_POW_MIA.jpg
    Last edited by overthehill; 05-18-2012 at 12:27. Reason: better image

The best way to get up there is on the eklutna road side.There is a little gravel park spot right on a curve with a creek crossing under the road. Head straight up, pretty easy hike.You need a hand I'll hike up with you guys.