Thread: Trim issues honda 130

Default Trim issues honda 130

I am looking for some suggestion on my Honda 130. The trim works on and off. I have had trouble with it in the driveway but never in the water till yesterday. I had to manually lift it once to the ramp. Could fluid level be a reason for this?

When you say manually are you referring to the manual switch on the engine? Or did you actually have to manually lift the engine? There is usually a plug connection at your engine that connects your remote trim switch to the engine harness. If the wiring is tight the plug will come unplugged when raising and lowering the engine or when turning the engine left and right while in the up or down position. But you will still have control via the manual switch on the engine. If you couldn't use either switch then it may be fluid related. I would think that you would still here the pump running though. Good luck.

Yes actually manually lifting the motor, not light! But when I couldn't get it on the trailer I went back into passage canal and got it up a bit I think the bouncing around helps but not sure. I'll check the connections again. Yeah I tried both switches too and don't hear The motor run when pressing the switch but hopefully it is just a fluid issue.

Check the connections on the relay pack that controls the power trim motor for tightness and corrosion.
    I have my buddies Yamaha F50 apart because a jumper on the relay pack corroded killing the relay pack.
    New one is $200!!!! DOH!!!

do you remember what the relay pack looked like Maybe round 1.5 inches long next to 3 fuses?? I have traced everything my inexperienced self can. I Have power at the switch on the motor does that matter? So to me that says the motor is bad? I dont wanna poke throught the wire by the switch to find out.

After reading various problems similar to mine on the internet i have noticed some people start having trouble going up at first then then eventually down. Mine started last season having problems going up when not running. then this year having problems going down, and now nothing works (up or down).

I went to dealer today they said it may be fluid but i cant seem to fill it cause trim is all the way down and even after manually lifting motor it still oozes after opening fill. I would just take it in but only have 3 weeks left to use boat before leaving till march.

The relay pack on the Yamaha is under the cowling and has a bunch of wires hooked up via nuts/posts.
    Trace the wiring from the tilt mech to the relay.

Check the wiring to the up limit switch! Mine had a broken wire.

You may be getting a false reading if you are putting the VOM from ground on the boat to the motor.
    Put the VOM across the pump connections. If you get 12.6v across the motor, I would measure the motor resistance with one of the wire remove.

If you do not have 12.6v across the motor, remove both wire from the motor and take two wires from the battery (-) (+) to the motor and see if it works.

Does any of this make sense.

I can offer my Seloc Honda outboard repair manual. Has a ton of information in it related to the trim system and everything else for that matter. I picked it up at West Marine.

OK I think its the motor for sure now. I was messing around with it last night i started tapping the motor with a screwdriver and pushing up and down. The motor worked but needed constant taping to go up and a little help to go down. The motor sounded different every time it engaged, sometimes strong and somtimes very weak. I ordered the motor yesterday and i hope this is the fix. Thanks for all the help.

Probably the brushes.
    When you get your new one pull the old one apart and look it over.
    If the brushes are worn order up a new set. Clean the armature with some emory cloth, install new brushes and test.
    If all is good, stick it on the shelf as a backup.