Thread: Fishing tackle needs for the Copper center area

Default Fishing tackle needs for the Copper center area

I will be fishing the copper center area in late June. I will be taking a spinning rod to fish the streams and rivers for multispecies. What Lures should I bring and what pound test line should I use. I have never fisher the rivers in Alaska so any information would be GREATLY apreciated.

JIm

Well Jim you have an open window for just about everything that swims if you are willing to travel.

By Spinning rod one can only assume you mean Trout / Walley type spinning rod if not than Steelhead / Salmon rod which in any case will limit your ability to chase certain fish IMO.

Will assume Trout / Walleye Rod 6 - 7ft Light/Med rated to 6-12 lbs test Standard stuff you would use any place in the USA for fishing i.e. Size 2-3 Mepps, Panther Martins, Rooster Tails etc..... will put you in the mix for most rivers. If you find your-self fishing small you can go down to a size 1 blade. Couple of creeks around Glennallen as well as the Upper Gulkana, Tangle Lakes which is about 50 miles away from Copper Center. You also have a couple of stocked ponds by the Tonsina not to mention several lakes such as the Tangles and Sweade lakes to explore.

If you are chasing Salmon with spinning gear you really need two options if your chasing Kings between the Gulkana, Klutina, and or Tonsina the latter two require heavy gear 7-8ft Heavy action spin rod with 60-80 lbs test braided line works best again IMO. You will require a stout reel to match with a quality drag. Spin fishing is an option size 4-5 Blads on the Gulkana not a great option on the Klutina or Tonsina two much water i.e. current. You can however fish roe on the Klutina so you will be plussed up to do such. If your fishing the Gulkana standard 7-8ft spin rod Med/ heavy action with 25-30 lbs PLine or equal Med Stout reel.

Best of luck sorry for jumping all around.

Have a great time.

Late June is that start of the king season on the Klutina and Gulkana, as well as the Tonsina as Bluemoose mentioned. I grew up around that area and I guided on the Klutina for a few years so I am not speaking out of turn when I say you need some heavy gear for kings and reds on the Klutina. I would also recommend that you buy your gear before you get there. The charter houses are really the only place to buy tackle in Copper Center and they have a pretty good markup. There are allot of smaller species in Copper Center though. If you can't travel to the other spots mentioned by Bluemoose (which are great spots, I love tangle river) then you can still get some good fishing in for grayling, trout, and dollies right in Copper Center. There is a small stream that has some beaver ponds just north of the the Klutina river by about a mile. If you are on the old Copper Center loop just head North until you see a small stream that crosses the road that has a beaver pond on the right. Bring an ultralight and some mepps spinners for the grayling. Also, the Klutina has allot of grayling, dollies and even eels that you can catch on spinners or a fly rod. There really isn't any lake fishing in Copper Center unless you head up to Klutina Lake. It's about a 21 mile drive on dirt road. You will have to pay for the day permit to the Ahtna natives.
    Good luck. If you need any more info on the area just PM me.

Thanks for the great Advise! I would like to get a king. Can I fish from shore? What bait should I use? Could I get pinks or reds in that area? Thanks again for the advise.

Jim

yup u can shore fish u got to wait till july 1 to fish for kings on klutina but u will get reds and kings no pinks. june a good time to go to valdez for pinks. just a word ,Klutina is fast moven water if u hook a big boy u will 'Feel the Burn'. many people get spooled.

There are many places to fish from the shore on the Klutina. Although most of the river is only accessible by boat. The road runs up the river to the lake but in most places runs along the bluffs. You can hike down from the bluffs but the road in places but its steep and rough going. You can drive to 4 mile and drive down an old logging road. There you will find 3 good holes. Like lake hunter said, you will be feeling the burn when you get on a nice 50 pounder. When I ran the river I used 80 or 100 pound dacron line backer and a 60 pound leader. Later in the season you don't even need bait. Just bounce you Okee off the bottom with some bright green yarn. If you don't want to go up the road you can head towards the mouth on the South side of the river. There are 2 good king holes in that direction. You can also pick up beautiful reds all day long. I always bring two rods with me. One for reds and one for kings. Make sure you bring heavy enough equipment. The fast water works to their advantage and I've never felt kings fight harder on any other river. They are monsters. There have been one or two 70 pound fish caught on that river. The average is between 28 and 35 pounds but 40 and 50 pounders are pretty normal. Anything over 60 is exceptional. If you can get your hands on some king eggs it would really help your chances. Cut them up in small sections and cure them for 3 days in 3 parts borax, one part salt.