Thread: Honey Bees

Talking Honey Bees

To anyone out there who is doing bees this year:
    Due to the cold weather this spring, how have your bees been doing? I installed mine on the 27th of April but I've been away from home so much I haven't had a chance to see how they've been doing. I have 4 hives this year so I'm sure I should do ok (fingers crossed) with the honey harvest, but as usual I want them to have good forage weather and plenty of food. Good luck to all the AK Apiarists out there.

James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Installed April 27th? Wow, I have bees here in Nebraska and on normal years we wouldnt be much earlier than that. What were the daytime temps when you did that?
    I would love to learn more about how you do it up there. What is your source? Fireweed? We like white and yellow clover down here.

Bawanna

I have one single hive and two double Queens hives . I was into them last week to take the second filter out between the Queens and some box's had brood on 4 or 5 frames. Not full but they were working on them. I have a box built under my hives that I have a light bulb in it for heat. It appears to keep them spread out more and not clustering up in a bunch . Will be nice to get something flowering out soon. Only in Alaska would a person be glad to see a dandelion blooming. It is one of the first things to bloom.

I have to admit that I like to see the dandelions pop as that is our first things to bloom. I never thought of the light for heat set up. Things have been real dry here so the worry is all about production. Wholesale honey prices are over 2 dollars a lb which they were around 70 cent a lb 5 or 6 yrs ago. Production just cant keep up I guess

Bawanna

April 27th is actually a bit late for up here, but still a decent time. When I hived them It was in the high 40's to low 50's i think. The overnight lows are still in the 30's though so I will keep there insulation on until the lows get into the 50's. As far as their source goes, I think they just go with whatever is blooming. Right now the Willow is kickin out major pollen. Dandelions should be any day now, then spruce and wild rose. As far as nectar goes; the nectar flow won' start until about July 1st and go till about mid august. Not sure how much honey you usually get down there, but last year I got 9 gallons between 2 hives, but one had swarmed on or about July 15th. So basically 1 hive did almost all the work. As far as price goes, I sell mine by volume because I don't have a scale. I do know that honey is WAY CHEAPER in your neck of the woods. I sold some to a friend last year who had a bad honey year for $10 per pound and that was a steal of a deal. I've heard that down at the farmers market it's going for $16 per pound. In our defense to prices, I'd like to think that the honey my bees make is better than the stuff I get form my family back in Minnesota. I guess we could set up a trade if you'd be interested in trying some... Whattaya think?
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

beeyard.jpghoney frame.jpg

Just an idea of my bee yard

What time of the year was these pictures taken?

I think it was in July maybe. For some reason my pictures aren't dated. I usually put the honey supers on at the end of June but this one has 2 honey supers so I'm guessing the end of July or Beginning of August

Years past guys always said 100 lbs per hive was a good crop. We figure about 12 lbs per gallon on average, some will go a little heavier some a little lighter. I did notice the prices at the farmers market in Anchorage when I was up there last Summer, made me do the math of what my whole crop would be worth at those prices!!!

I am always willing to trade my honey for anything... other honey, salmon, good advice.

God blessand tight lines

Bawanna