Thread: Anyone in PWS weekend of May 12/13?

Default Anyone in PWS weekend of May 12/13?

And I thought the previous weekend was crappy. Tough going in a 24-ft boat from Surprise Cove to Whittier Sunday morning.

I know we all get the itch to get out on the water every spring and sometimes push it to cure the itch. It seems to only take 1-2 times out in bad weather to reinforce to possibility to stay home and do some yard work!! Hopefully you were able to enjoy your time in Suprise.

I learned that the "Experimental" NWS Marine Point Forecast is just that...Experimental. If the forecast for a zone (e.g. Western PWS) does not look good, but the forecast shown for a specific point that you've chosen on the map looks good, then go ahead and apply the not-so-good forecast to everywhere. Water Saturday was good, and it was snowing which was ok by me. Started getting breezy Saturday afternoon. Windy with big gusts Saturday night and Sunday. Too rough Sunday to even think about pulling the pots, so just headed in. If my engine had failed this weekend instead of the previous weekend and I would have had to rely on my kicker, I would have had to stay put until today. Thanks to the work that Burkeshore Marina in Big Lake did on my engine on Friday, the engine ran flawlessly in the rough water.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I learned that the "Experimental" NWS Marine Point Forecast is just that...Experimental.
    Totally agree. It was saying 2-3 for where I went Friday and I ended up in solid 6 footers with some bigger ones mixed in for 4 miles.... Bleh.....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I got as far as on my boat in it's slip doing some work. I would have been heading out by myself, and common sense got the better of me. Looks like things are finally improving, although I see they got more snow in Whittier on Sunday night that stuck to some of the boats and was on the docks.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We have been out the last four weekends. Had nice anchorages both Friday and Saturday. We did have some snow on us on Saturday and Sunday am. It was a bit snotty coming around Pigot on Sunday morning but other than that it was a nice weekend. We measured 6 feet of snow at the beach in Port Wells. I figure at this rate with new snow coming in the bears may be coming out in mid-August.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Skydiver,

Was that you in the Northern anchorage of Surprise on Saturday evening? We were the white ACB that came in to Surprise at 8pm and didn't like the idea of a straight blast of wind coming into the Western-most anchoring slot. We moved over behind the islands and got comfortable though we had to set the anchor twice to get it to bite hard into the eel grass. Coming home from Surprise wasn't too bad once we were out of Cochrane. I'm not a great judge of wave height...breaking four footers?

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Skydiver,

Was that you in the Northern anchorage of Surprise on Saturday evening? We were the white ACB that came in to Surprise at 8pm and didn't like the idea of a straight blast of wind coming into the Western-most anchoring slot. We moved over behind the islands and got comfortable though we had to set the anchor twice to get it to bite hard into the eel grass. Coming home from Surprise wasn't too bad once we were out of Cochrane. I'm not a great judge of wave height...breaking four footers?

IceKing02
    Yep. When I saw an ACB headed towed the falls side I told Cindy that I bet that was you. Never been in the islands area except in the kayaks. Need to talk to you some time about navigating that area and anchoring there. Breaking four-footers is my guess. Blew hard Saturday night for sure. Hate setting the anchor one direction only to have the wind blow you in the opposite direction, and toward deeper water.

Skydiver,

Send me an email or call anytime. I have anchored smaller boats closer to the falls than is recommended and would have done so again if the weather was much bigger or if my boat was smaller. Just read the Cruising Guide and avoid that rock outcropping!
    Yes, resetting the anchor in the middle of the night was not much fun...but it beats the alternative!

IceKing02

A couple of buddies and I were out this past weekend (11-13th). We left Whittier Friday morning and headed across Port Wells to Esther Island. After cruising along the shore for a few miles, we got the inkling to head over to Harriman Fiord. We bumped uglies with a few bergie bits and then headed down to Hobo Bay, across Port Wells again to Esther passage where we stayed the night. Saturday we headed East and dabbled in Eaglek Bay where we saw and amazing 15 minutes of sunshine, followed promptly by hail, snow andrain. East to Esther Bay and then back into Esther Passage to snoop around and spend the night. Sunday late morning it was back across Port Wells to pirate cove, swung through Pigot bay, then back to Whittier. Overall, the weather and wind was fair, would have been nice to have a little more sun, but there were no major boat or motor or weather issues, so All in all it was a good time. I think we traveled around 150 miles and burned 37 gallons of fuel. 19' aluminum.

I think that my problem was that I was south of Port Wells where the seas had more time to build (fetch) as the wind was pretty much from the NE. I'll always happily take ran/snow/hail if the water is flat! Will shoot again for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think that my problem was that I was south of Port Wells where the seas had more time to build (fetch) as the wind was pretty much from the NE. I'll always happily take ran/snow/hail if the water is flat! Will shoot again for this weekend.
    Copy that. I was able to go 8mph against the waves; 21 with them. I would try to plan my trips according to wind direction, but it seems that in one days time, the wind changes from every direction. I guess it's part of the experience. BTW: my distance travelled was probably more like 130 miles, 37 gallons. I was a little optimistic there for a bit.