Thread: Bringing the dog

Default Bringing the dog

http://dustydawgs.com/photos

I want to figure out a way to bring my dog (75lb lab) along on the wheeler (Grizz 700) for hunting trips and slow easy trails. I found a dog carrier at dustydawgs.com but at almost $300 and then over $50 shipping I think that's a little too much. It's still cheaper than buying a side by side but there has to be a better way. Does anybody have a better idea? Let's see some pictures.

Mine runs along side the wheeler. She can run for miles and at a good pace

My lab used to ride on platform on the back. Never took a picture but I always made sure he had good footing. I'd suggest building a plywood platform with 2x4's or 2x2's around the outside edge and cover it in outdoor carpet or something for traction.

Don't let your dog ride on just the rack alone. I have seen a dog fall off and get a foot stuck in the rack in the process. Ended up with a bad broken leg.

Mine rides in the back seat... one of the storage container types that bolt on. She says put on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    http://dustydawgs.com/photos

I want to figure out a way to bring my dog (75lb lab) along on the wheeler (Grizz 700) for hunting trips and slow easy trails. I found a dog carrier at dustydawgs.com but at almost $300 and then over $50 shipping I think that's a little too much. It's still cheaper than buying a side by side but there has to be a better way. Does anybody have a better idea? Let's see some pictures.
    That is a nice looking rack/cage but it looks like it would not be too hard to fab one up. My wheeler has a dump bed that my dog rides in, we normally lay a blanket down for her so she does not get banged up too badly with the kids driving or my driving.

I agree with CKAK, plywood then carpet. I have over 3k miles of Lab proofed back country running and riding. Many is the day, now long gone, when I would get to camp with a dog drool soaked shoulder. She is now passed but the memories never will. the ex still has the pictures of those good, good days...

Here's to you my wonderfull, faithful dog: Contessa de Oso Negra!
    Last edited by Lone Dingo; 05-14-2012 at 09:29. Reason: extra word

I saw a local out in Talkeetna that just bolted a round solid plastic laundry tub to the back rack of his ATV. He cut down a little bit on one side for access so his dog could get in and out on his own, and put carpet down in the bottom. The dog rode up there like he knew what he was doing!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

My Lab always wants to run, she ran about 20 miles yesterday. I will MAKE her ride for a while, but as soon as I slow down she let's me know she wants down to run some more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I used plywood over the rack, stapled an old foam sleep pad down for traction, and made some sides so she wouldn't slide off the edge so easy. I've also put her in an action packer . Good luck taking your buddy on the wheeler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I used plywood over the rack, stapled an old foam sleep pad down for traction, and made some sides so she wouldn't slide off the edge so easy. I've also put her in an action packer . Good luck taking your buddy on the wheeler.
    What's in the ABS tube? Never seen that before.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Lab packer - rides on snogo too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That ABS tube is used for storing tools, tow strap, bungees, maps, tire pump, TP, etc. Totally dry, out of the way, cheap. I used 4" so I can get my hand in there. Female threaded caps and then threaded male plugs on each side. Hose clamped to rack.