Thread: Just bought my first firearm ever--remington 870

Default Just bought my first firearm ever--remington 870

Although I've been in Alaska for a few years, I'm originally from Detroit. Just bought this shotgun and so far have had fun with it. I know it's a common shotgun, so anybody want to offer any advice on some fun things to do with it or share some stories?

Take it apart and put it back together over and over until it's easy for ya. Make sure you kiss it with some oil and shoot the crap out of it!

I have owend 870's since the 70's. Wonderful shotgun. I have 3 barrels for my two that I own. The one is located next to the front door with 600 grain slugs in it for bears.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
    ....so anybody want to offer any advice on some fun things to do with it....
    Find another friend with a shotgun, pic up a few boxes of shells, a thrower, and a case of clay pigeons, and have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Find another friend with a shotgun, pic up a few boxes of shells, a thrower, and a case of clay pigeons, and have fun....
    Ayup. I'd even go to the nearest trap range, where you'll get lots of help along with the shooting. And buy all the cheap ammo you can find and afford. Just shoot the heck out of it until you don't really have to think about handling and "aiming." Shotguns are at their best when they kinda become part of your body.

Keep it oiled properly and it will last you a lifetime. I have the 870 Express Magnum and the rough finish on it started to get a powder rust on it before I caught it and got some good oil on it. I think the Wingmaster has a better blue job, but you should still put something on it.

Buy a box of clays and some shells, and take turns with a buddy blowing em up. Then when duck season comes around, you will be ready to down some birds. You should also get a sling for it and take it hiking. Ptarmigan and Grouse can be a fun bonus to a good hike. A shotgun is one of the most versatile guns you can buy. With light loads, you can shoot grouse, with heavy loads, you can shoot geese and ducks, and with slugs, you can even take big game if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    A shotgun is one of the most versatile guns you can buy. With light loads, you can shoot grouse, with heavy loads, you can shoot geese and ducks, and with slugs, you can even take big game if you have to.
    One gun for every species of game in Alaska? That's dangerous water you're treadin', there, buddy!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    One gun for every species of game in Alaska? That's dangerous water you're treadin', there, buddy!
    Well I would never tell my wife that anyway It isn't perfect for everything, but it works pretty well on a lot of species. That wont stop me from buying more guns though.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Take it apart and put it back together over and over until it's easy for ya. Make sure you kiss it with some oil and shoot the crap out of it!
    What he said.

The Remington 870 shot gun is a very good weapon. Find some one who is familiar with them and have them show you some stuff. I keep a short barreled one in my bed room closet. If I had lived in Detroit like you did I probably would have slept with it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    A shotgun is one of the most versatile guns you can buy. With light loads, you can shoot grouse, with heavy loads, you can shoot geese and ducks, and with slugs, you can even take big game if you have to.
    Plus One.

If I had to survive and could only have one gun, it would be a shotgun. They didn't call the Model 12 the "Game Getter" for nothing.

#7-1/2 for grouse/ptarmagain, #6 for hares, 4's 2's and 1's for ducks and geese. 00 for personal defense, and slugs for everything else. Get a variety of chokes, too. Get a rifled slug barrel for the heavier game, if possible.

Watch for opportunities for cheap ammo and buy it up, it doesn't go bad, but the price always rises.

Reloading for shotguns is relatively cheap to get into also. A Lee Load All II is only about $40 and they are good enough for casual reloading. Then all you need to buy is a book and supplies. ~$30 for powder, $42 for shot, $3 for primers, $10 for wads, ~$25 for a book, you can have a good setup for under $150.