Thread: Memorial day weekend, where would you go

Default Memorial day weekend, where would you go

Well this is my first year with my own boat "woohoo" and my friends and I are trying to plan a memorial day weekend trip but have come to a conclusion that it is hard to plan this out due to the dreaded mother nature. So my questione how do u plan trips in advance? Do u just plan for it hope for the best or wait till the last minute and decide due to weather? Also what are your plans for the up coming weekend? We have either Seward, Whittier or homer depending on weather.

As far as what to do on Memorial Day weekend, I am going to Homer without my boat to help build a new playground. I know its not very outdoorsy but they need help and I have a camper and land there I need to go see.

On any weekend (or any time I have a trip planned) of the summer I try to have a plan A and a plan B. Like next weekend I plan on going out of Whittier to go look for a bear and get some shrimp. If the weather sucks I might go to Homer with the boat if the weather looks better there, or I might just write off the boating and do something else. Kind of depends. Its a fact of life that Mother Nature throws a wrench in your plans once in a while. Whatever you do don't just go and not worry about the weather. Heck last year we went to Seward for a weekend towards the end of June. I had a halibut charter for work to go on and then we were planning on going out and doing some exploring. Our plan B was to just stay tied up in the harbor and go to the sea life center and play in Seward.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

As JR2 said, make sure you have a backup plan. I know I have been to stubborn to stay home and pushed thru some weather I later regretted going out in. It's nice having 3 ports to choose from, but most of the time, they have close to the same weather during the bad days. I'll be working Memorial day weekend, but the weekdays before, I hope to be in Whittier catching lots of halibut and Black Cod.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I always have a plan A and plan B. The water is no place to play when the weather sucks...

When marine weather is bad I go camp on Kenai or Skilak LK

I agree with everyone here. I run the river so I go even if the weather is bad plus go to a cabin LOL
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Memorial Day week is always the "traditional" opener for us, and we plan a week (or more) in Homer. The extra time reduces the weather risk for us - if the weather is too bad, we hang around camp, go fish Ninilchik/Deep Creek rivers for kings, or watch the birds. As others have said, no need to push the weather for fish - the New Sagaya and Fred Meyers rivers never run out of fish! :-)

We are planning a couple days on the big su, pike fishing and maybe king fishin, depends on the crowds... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I agree with what has been said. Go somewhere that you wouldn't mind hanging out if the fishing doesn't pan out. My personal preference is Homer-lots to do in town, rivers around if you're determined to fish, and the weather often calms in the evenings, so if you're watching close maybe you could buzz out there real quick later on. Bottom line, don't go out there at all costs-they are too high and not worth it.
    Last year, my buddies were mad I wouldn't go out because the marine forecast called for 4' waves and it looked nasty. They were mad until we saw a guy on the dock later that day that went out and looked like his wife was ready to file for divorce and he had PTSD just from the days events! Didnt catch any fish either! My friends weren't as mad at me then.

Yeah defenitly agree with not going out if the weather is bad, just anxouis to get the boat out on the water. It looks like our plan A is going to be Homer, did some map studing and found some good looking areas that look like they might produce preety well weather depending. Just cant wait to get out of town and away from work Thanks for all the suggestions

The key to enjoying memorial day weekend is launching on Friday so you don't have to contend with the hoards on Saturday morning that haven't run the boat in a year and clog up the launch. I'm only 1/2 joking.

I usually head out of Whittier because it's my preferred local for multi day trips. That and it's close enough that if the weather is crap I'll just stay home and catch up on honey dos, or head home early.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yeah Ive been lucky and have had the chance to go through the boat and do a couple of launches already so that I dont have to be "That Guy" lol at the docks. Ive only had pratice unloading and loading at the docks when there hasnt been anyone else there so it will be interesting for me to see how that will go when it is busy. My game plan is to launch earlier than most people, I hope to be around 5:30 am or so, sat morning. Ill be the yellow truck with the trophy pro 2359 if anyone wants a beer or just to say hi down there. Happy fishing to all and hope that you all have a good and safe memorial day.

Hey Joe if the weather gets bad and your looking for something to do on Saturday you can always come help on the playground construction. The park is up by the hospital, I would say if you showed up and offered to help they would not say no. I will be around Homer all weekend, not taking my boat so look for the green ford Excursion with GOF1SH on the plate. Say Hi if you see us.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson