Thread: Tactical Laser

Default Tactical Laser

Looking to purchase a Tac Laser for my Springfield XD .45. I've seen all the rave reviews for the Viridian Green Laser line but also looking at a couple of others.

NCStar Green Laser Model# AQPTLG or AQPTLMG
    Barska GLX Green Laser Model# AU11662.

If there are any other recamendations, I'd like to hear them. Looking for mostly just the laser but open to Laser/Light Combos too. The Viridian line is pretty spendy but if they are the best quality, then I'll be apt to get one. If anybody out there has another choice, please let me know. But I'm always looking for the quality along with the price. Thanks!

I put a Viridian Green Laser(SXD) on my wife's XD 40, the gate that holds the battery broke some where around 500 rounds later. My Crimson Trace and Laser Max lasers have never had any problems. Guess which brand I won't be buying again?

Why do you folks like lasers?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Laser

They are great for shooting zombies

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

+1000. Spend the money on more training ammo and maybe a gun lesson. IMHO lasers are a gimmick that a lot of companies are making a lot of money from. Great as a training aid and great for military/le when in the non-visible spectrum and coupled with NVDs. But (again IMHO) not something that has a place on an SD firearm.
    If you need a laser to hit a target at true SD ranges the you also need a lawyer on retention (as likely the target was a lot further away than true SD) and/or more training.
    One of the biggest problems I see with lasers is that when you have one you try too hard to get the darned thing on the target. I train and shoot a lot and I can honestly say that if I go against average joe (time wise) who has his gun drawn, I can draw and get at least 2 shots on COM while he is still faffing trying to chase that red dot onto the center of COM. It is that natural habit that if you have a laser you try to hit dead center, rather than just trying to hit the threat.
    To each his own though and if you want a laser I would recomend Viridian green.

Here is why I like lasers.

First let me say that I believe laser sights should never replace learning to shoot a particular handgun with the regular sights. That being said, the lasers have a definite place in shooting, especially in self defense shooting.

I have both LaserMax and Crimson Trace in Glocks, Springfield XD's, and 1911's. While the LaserMax is more accurate from the factory than the Crimson Trace, the latter is better if you ever have to defend yourself. And I hope you never have to do that.

In a darken area, regular sights can be hard to see. I know they have night sights. I have a 1911 with 2012 Trijicon night sights on them. Those sights are almost useless because they are small and dim, even thought they are new. Night sights tend to continually dim and eventually burn out over time.

The big point is that in self defense, the laser is quicker in acquiring the target and can be fired from almost any position. You do not have to waste the time of bringing the pistol up to eye level. Quickness counts in what could be a life threatening situation. Plus when you see the red dot, that is very close to where the projectile will hit.

The old western movie "fire from the hip" really does work with a laser sight.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I want every advantage I can get in a low light situation. In addition to Crimson Trace grips, my everyday carry has TruGlo TFO night sights since batteries have been known to fail. Since we spend a big portion of the year with more hours of darkness than light it just makes sense to me to be as prepared as I can for a low light conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    They are great for shooting zombies
    In most places using a laser on Zombies is considered un-sportsman like and in poor form. But it IS lots of fun to watch them chase the dot around trying to catch it.