Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No king fishing in the Mat-su?????

Default No king fishing in the Mat-su?????

Has anyone else heard of this? I was de-winterizing my boat at finger lake in the Valley about 1 week ago and I over heard some troubling news from a fish and game officer that was there checking peoples licenses. I overheard him saying that there was an internal meeting with the F&G biologists last Friday to discuss the possibility of shutting down all king fishing in the Valley. After I heard this I stopped him and asked him if this were true and he verified it by telling me that most likely they would shut down all king fishing for all of the runs that come from the Big Su and Little Su and all of the subsequent smaller streams and rivers in the Valley area. He said that they were talking about only leaving the Eklutna Tailrace open for King fishing. To me this was really big news. I know that this would hurt many peoples businesses in that area. I don't want to start a scare but I wanted to know if anybody else has heard of this. Was this fish and game officer out of line when he said this? Has anybody heard any announcements with regards to this? With so many people that would be affected I am surprised that I haven't heard of this sooner.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they shut it down, I think we are at a point where something like this needs to be done. Sure it will affect a number of businesses, but should we lose this resource completely, they'll be hurting for years to come. Besides, we still have the silvers and reds a'comin!!

I haven't heard anything about them shutting it down. But it wouldn't make me sad at all, I believe it needs to happen. We can be proactive now, and save the fishery, or we can continue to grind the returns down until it dies. There are plenty of reds and silvers around, and you can always fish kings in other rivers for a few years.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

It's better to hurt someone's business for a few years, rather than put them out of business permanently.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

for being a hatchery run eklutna trailrace is slow place to fish for kings.when their there u better be there cause its over quik. If fishd it a few times and missed the run by 2 days and it was dead water

To me the entire issuer reeks of mismanagement and it is very sad to see long standing businesses closing up due to it. I noticed Luce's is for sale on craigslist. I am sure it won't be the last on the chopping block either.

If it has to happen, it has to happen. But to make sure it doesn't again, I have a suggestion. Before I say it, let me point out that I am, because of my job, now a non-resident of Alaska. That being said, when ADF&G opens the Susitna Drainages back up for king fishing, the resident bag limit can go up to whatever number they deem appropriate. However I think the non-resident bag limit should remain at 2 per year. I would be willing to be limited to 2 a year to protect the future. And many of you residents rely on salmon in the freezer.

Default I've just got off the phone with the Palmer Office of ADFG Sam Ivey

No Change from the Orginial E/Os go to the departments web pages for E/Os. The Parks highway streams will be catch and release, Little Su has its own E/O with limited days of retention. The complete program is at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...king_final.pdf

Big Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Has anyone else heard of this? I was de-winterizing my boat at finger lake in the Valley about 1 week ago and I over heard some troubling news from a fish and game officer that was there checking peoples licenses. I overheard him saying that there was an internal meeting with the F&G biologists last Friday to discuss the possibility of shutting down all king fishing in the Valley. After I heard this I stopped him and asked him if this were true and he verified it by telling me that most likely they would shut down all king fishing for all of the runs that come from the Big Su and Little Su and all of the subsequent smaller streams and rivers in the Valley area. He said that they were talking about only leaving the Eklutna Tailrace open for King fishing. To me this was really big news. I know that this would hurt many peoples businesses in that area. I don't want to start a scare but I wanted to know if anybody else has heard of this. Was this fish and game officer out of line when he said this? Has anybody heard any announcements with regards to this? With so many people that would be affected I am surprised that I haven't heard of this sooner.

Default Regulations gobbledegook is deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by bigfisherman View Post
    Regulations are important. Fishermen understanding the regs is very important.

So how about we test that reg there. Give it to 10 people; its short enough to be read in 4-5 minutes, so give'm 10 minutes.

They give them 5 storybook questions to solve:

John Doe is going to take his XXXX lure with YYYYY hooks to go fishing. He'll park his truck ZZZZ and walk so far that way and begins to fish. Has he just broken the law?

I'd be willing to bet you that your average test score would be less than 50 percent.

Ya gotta be a darned lawyer to hunt or fish these days....

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Regulations are important. Fishermen understanding the regs is very important.

So how about we test that reg there. Give it to 10 people; its short enough to be read in 4-5 minutes, so give'm 10 minutes.

They give them 5 storybook questions to solve:

John Doe is going to take his XXXX lure with YYYYY hooks to go fishing. He'll park his truck ZZZZ and walk so far that way and begins to fish. Has he just broken the law?

I'd be willing to bet you that your average test score would be less than 50 percent.

Ya gotta be a darned lawyer to hunt or fish these days....
    Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially if you read the news release that accompanies each EO, and I'm not a lawyer. Most of the people I have talked with that say you have to be a lawyer to understand the regulations just haven't taken the time to read the information and think it through.

So you can only fish for kings from June 14th and a half, through July 4th at high river tide but only catch and release unless the you have one foot inside of unit 2 which can only occur before 6AM. You are allowed to use bait unless the the day of the week ends in "day". The hook can only be of stainless steel quality while only have one single chuck norris style barb. The Deshka will be closed to artificial style fishing unless you are fishing with a midget who is a resident native which then entitles you to use 3 rods, a dipnet and 2 fishwheels. The fishwheels may only be used on sunny days. The size limit of fish kept must be between 20" and 20-1/16" but must have less girth than their length multiplied by the times you have casted that day. Anyone caught not following these rules and regulations will be forced to explain their confusions to an even more confused fish and game officer. I don't even see how it's possible to fish and drink at the same time these days!

Sorry Man but the humor on 907 is well ROTFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Sorry Man but the humor on 907 is well ROTFLMAO
    Completely agreed. Even if I knew how to write well, I couldn't begin to write as well as 907 did. I'd already repped him before I came across your agreement, next post down. You got to smile a little when you're looking at this serious stuff, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially if you read the news release that accompanies each EO, and I'm not a lawyer. Most of the people I have talked with that say you have to be a lawyer to understand the regulations just haven't taken the time to read the information and think it through.
    Commfish:

I agree. If you have to, read it s-l-o-w. Then read it slow again. If you still don't understand it then maybe you have a reading comprehension issue.

ClearCreek

hahaha 907's post is great.... much needed laugh

Thats kool, I see that 907 has a perfect understanding of the regs... ha ha ha... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Luces place is up for sale because daves wife has some form of cancer and they both said they wanted to move to a better climate to live the rest of their lives in. Talked to them when we rode up there, sad to see that place go. We just need to regulate and conserve the fisheries a taad bit better on the king runs. To many non reidents coming up here, taking our resources and barely having an effect on our economy. jmho
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Commfish:

I agree. If you have to, read it s-l-o-w. Then read it slow again. If you still don't understand it then maybe you have a reading comprehension issue.

ClearCreek
    Yeah, because everyone who does not understand the regulations completely is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by lujon View Post
    to me the entire issuer reeks of mismanagement and it is very sad to see long standing businesses closing up due to it. I noticed luce's is for sale on craigslist. I am sure it won't be the last on the chopping block either.
    luces is for sale cause of the health reasons of owners

cLOSE cOMMERCIAL!!!! WATCH HOW RUNS INSTANTLY IMPROVE???? WHATA CONCEPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast