Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip comming in Sept to Yakutat--fly fishing for silver Salmon

Default First trip comming in Sept to Yakutat--fly fishing for silver Salmon

I am a saltwater flyfisherman from the Gulf Coast and will be going to Yakutat area this fall to fish for silver salmon. I have found one good website for tying flies for flyfishing in Alaska, but I would like to get some specific info for the Yakutat area. I know we will be fishing the Lost and the Situk rivers and it will be late Sept. What is the best rod size? What is the best hook size? I have already tied several Egg Sucking Leeches and some Wolly Buggers. What are your best suggestions?

You should have a ball!! IMO, 8 or 9 wt rod. Intermediate sink line. Weighted Bunnies, Hot Shot Comets in pink, purple and Chartruse. Stop at the fly shop next to the airport (in a hanger there) and he will get you set up. Good size Silvers. Get your flies down to the fish. Have a great trip

Thanks--I can't wait--I have been tying flies for the last few days--mostly leech imitations and some flesh flies. I already have plenty of Clousers and Wolly Buggers for my local fishing, so I will probably take some of them since I read that they both work for silvers. I have pretty much all weights in fly rods from 2 to 10, so I will probably take the 8 wt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    You should have a ball!! IMO, 8 or 9 wt rod. Intermediate sink line. Weighted Bunnies, Hot Shot Comets in pink, purple and Chartruse. Stop at the fly shop next to the airport (in a hanger there) and he will get you set up. Good size Silvers. Get your flies down to the fish. Have a great trip

What should I expect in late Sept in Yakutat as far as weather? How is the Situk as far as wading conditions?

Rain rain and more rain. Yakutat recives on average about 400+ inches of rain per year. Working there last summer i remember maybe five or six days where it did not rain. september river levels will be high. stick to the upper just below 9mile as there are some trails that lead to fishable spots or the lower. last year the water levels went from about 4 feet to 9-10 ft. That time of year the lodges break out the kicker motors so people dont need to float and just power up stream. I used to get up and hit the lower end just above the old mans hole, there was a fallen tree where they piled up and would have my limit in about 10 mins. then fish C&R for about an hour. If your a novice like me you can average 10-12 fish an hour, if your a pro an hour might land you 20+. The silvers there will take anything and i do man anything. We had a client last year make a lure out of a leprechaun key chain and nailed fish on it all day. If your camping bring a tarp for your tent as well as something that will keep you dry. Good Luckn and have a blast i know i miss it there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by flybug View Post
    What should I expect in late Sept in Yakutat as far as weather? How is the Situk as far as wading conditions?
    Expecttemps anywhere from 30-65. Average temps will be about 40 as a low and 55 as ahigh. Expect rain and by rain I mean lots of rain...September is Yakutat's secondrainiest month. They receive on average 19 inches of rain in Sept. As far aswading, if it doesn't rain much wading will work fine, but if it rains a lotthe river will be very high and wading will be difficult.

Get in touch with Bob at the fly shop in Yakutat.

http://situk.net/

Wow! Fishing sounds awesome! I guess I should expect rain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Rain rain and more rain. Yakutat recives on average about 400+ inches of rain per year. Working there last summer i remember maybe five or six days where it did not rain. september river levels will be high. stick to the upper just below 9mile as there are some trails that lead to fishable spots or the lower. last year the water levels went from about 4 feet to 9-10 ft. That time of year the lodges break out the kicker motors so people dont need to float and just power up stream. I used to get up and hit the lower end just above the old mans hole, there was a fallen tree where they piled up and would have my limit in about 10 mins. then fish C&R for about an hour. If your a novice like me you can average 10-12 fish an hour, if your a pro an hour might land you 20+. The silvers there will take anything and i do man anything. We had a client last year make a lure out of a leprechaun key chain and nailed fish on it all day. If your camping bring a tarp for your tent as well as something that will keep you dry. Good Luckn and have a blast i know i miss it there all the time.

Any chance of getting a steelhead in late Sept on the Situk? If so, what flies would be best? Any other fish I should plan to target besides silvers and possibly steelheads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    While it rains a lot it does not rain 400+inches. Yakutat recieves on average about 140 inches. (even though it may seem like 400)

Anybody have any suggestions as far as other fish? We will be staying at Leonards Landing--is there any saltwater fly fishing from shore?
    Any chance of getting a steelhead in late Sept on the Situk? If so, what flies would be best? Any other fish I should plan to target besides silvers and possibly steelheads?

You should probably focus on just a few patterns and sizes. #1/0 bunny flies, lead eyes; #2 ESLs, lead eyes; pink, purple, and black for both; #2 flash flies; a few comets (small, #4 hook) for low/clear water if you ever have this. that is all you need really. Pinch the barbs down. Kraig exaggerates a little on the extent of rain and number of fish, but it is rainy and the fishing is typically at least good. The fish can be large and fight hard.

If you are going in salt, I would go for halibut or rockfish from a charter boat.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    You should probably focus on just a few patterns and sizes. #1/0 bunny flies, lead eyes; #2 ESLs, lead eyes; pink, purple, and black for both; #2 flash flies; a few comets (small, #4 hook) for low/clear water if you ever have this. that is all you need really. Pinch the barbs down. Kraig exaggerates a little on the extent of rain and number of fish, but it is rainy and the fishing is typically at least good. The fish can be large and fight hard.

If you are going in salt, I would go for halibut or rockfish from a charter boat.
    I may have exaggerated about the rain fall amounts. When i worked there last summer it felt like we only had 4-5 days where it didnt rain. I however did not exaggerate on the fish amounts. Our guides would have contests to see who could land more the a 100 in a float from the wier down. Catch the tide right as its going out and an 1hr after its starts to come up. You will have a blast, Leanords is nice and the salt it right there but never fished the beach. Sept is def a great time to go but the water will be high its just that time of year and the river will be busy. if i was you I would rent a drifter with a motor and make your way up from the bottom end unless you are a good oarsmen and feel comfortable floating from 9 mile down. there is a lot of dead fall, stumps and log jams that can make floating the river difficult.

I will be going with a group of guy that have been making this trip every yr for the past 20 yrs, but they are not flyfishers--they use spinning gear and the pixie lures. I will definitely be using a flyrod--it just magnifies the fun. I have been using a flyrod locally here in saltwater for about 25 yrs and occasionally make a trip to the mountains for some trout fishing--but I definitely like the bigger fish in saltwater here.

We got over 80 inches of rain here last yr so it is not the rain I am worried about it is what it does to the river.

I have about 50 flies tied so far--mostly what you have mentioned--do you think that is enough for 4 days of fishing?

depends...50 should be plenty but if your fishing all day long for four days straight it never hurts to bring more but 50 should be enough. hope you have a blast!

What are the basic fly fishing techniques there? In fishing trout streams I have usually fished the wolly bugger across the stream and strip retrieved. I have fished nymphs with and without a float by drifting it through a deep hole and I have fished dry flies across and upstream trying to get that drag free drift. In saltwater, I have generally just cast blind or to a fish and strip retrieved.

when i fished there for silvers i found that casting upstream ahead of your target with a nice upstream mend worked well. If fishing fleshy flies try a jig and strip motion. the fish will be so think in the river it wont be hard to catch them trust me.

I don't know about yakutat, but in cordova a purple/pink Squidro rocks your socks off for silvers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xsh-how-squi-win-0002-purp.jpg  

Nice looking fly. I can't wait to try it and all my others. It sounds like silvers will take a wide variety of flies. I really hope they will take some topwater flies--I love getting fish to take a fly on the surface! I have tied several foam flies that should work if they do.

Nice looking fly. I can't wait to try it and all my others. It sounds like silvers will take a wide variety of flies. I really hope they will take some topwater flies--I love getting fish to take a fly on the surface! I have tied several foam flies that should work if they do.
    I have had success with wogs. It is so cool to see the wake of the fish coming at your fly! Like a torpedo. Definatley a lot of fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast