Thread: Flyfishingfor silver salmon in yakutat in the fall--first visit to Alaska.

Default Flyfishingfor silver salmon in yakutat in the fall--first visit to Alaska.

I will be going to the Yakutat area this fall (late Sept) to fish for silver salmon. I know we will be fishing the Situk and the Lost rivers. I have found one good website on flytying for fish in Alaska, but would like to get a little more specific information--what size rod would you recommend? What size hooks? What are your favorite flies? Colors?

Welcome to the forum.

Me personally, I like 8 wt rods with type III sink tips and WF lines, #2-4 hooks, and many flies but the majority of them are hot pink and cerise. With that said, had I not had some #6 beadhead olive woolly buggers on a SW float trip a few years back, I would have been in trouble. Pink is a commonly suggested color for silvers, but as always some variety is good. Especially on bluebird days when the silvers are shy. The fishing in early morning and late evening can be pretty hot, but sometimes during midday you need to put your thinking cap on. Be sure to take some topwater offerings, wogs, for the times you find some fish holding up in slack water.

Below is a link to Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. They sell the best flies I have found. Their silver salmon section should generate some thought for you.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

A pic of my silver boxes. I have since added more variety in color, namely adding some darker offerings for shy fish.

Ironically, it was these olive wb's in the bottom right of one of my dolly boxes that saved the day...

-Dan

Wow Dan,

Those boxes are really organized....I'm never going to let anyone see mine now!

Thanks--just the kind of info I need. I am surprised the hook size is as small as that--2s and 4s, with fish that average 12 to 15 pounds. I am used to fishing size 1s up to 2/0 for smaller fish like redfish around here. I am glad to hear that an 8 wt works good. I can fish an 8 all day, but 9s and 10 will wear me out. I had read that silvers like topwater flies sometimes--I love fishing topwater!

Any other fish I should prepare for in late Sept? Will most of the steelhead and rainbows be gone by then?

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Me personally, I like 8 wt rods with type III sink tips and WF lines, #2-4 hooks, and many flies but the majority of them are hot pink and cerise. With that said, had I not had some #6 beadhead olive woolly buggers on a SW float trip a few years back, I would have been in trouble. Pink is a commonly suggested color for silvers, but as always some variety is good. Especially on bluebird days when the silvers are shy. The fishing in early morning and late evening can be pretty hot, but sometimes during midday you need to put your thinking cap on. Be sure to take some topwater offerings, wogs, for the times you find some fish holding up in slack water.

Below is a link to Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. They sell the best flies I have found. Their silver salmon section should generate some thought for you.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

A pic of my silver boxes. I have since added more variety in color, namely adding some darker offerings for shy fish.

Ironically, it was these olive wb's in the bottom right of one of my dolly boxes that saved the day...

-Dan

I was just noticing the flies in your first box--is that a sleeve of some type over the flies? Is that just to keep the box more organized or is it part of the fly

1" sections of a drinking straw. The alaskabou and similar patterns take up far more room than they should in a fly box and the marabou gets stuck in the lid. The straw sections work like a charm at keeping the fly box tidy.

As for hook sizes, some of my larger patterns are on 1/0 hooks, but the majority are on #2's. Depends on the size of the fly.

-Dan