Thread: Upper Chena

Default Upper Chena

Anyone been up on the upper chena yet and are those beautiful grayling up there? I'm a few days away from finishing a massive work project and I think a fishing trip is in order.

there yesturday slow only 2 grays caught .1 on fly 1 on spin gear.didnt c any n water when sun was n right spot. The 2 were small

There are a couple places that might be better than others this early check with the ADF&G to see what spawning tribs are used and you might find better fishing. Hey I am only so nice! That being said there are still Grayling coming into our local systems to Spawn. Normally by the 20th you can find ample fishing above 20 mile CHRS for those fish making their way up to their summer hold areas.

Best of luck.

BMR

A fishing trip is ALWAYS in order!

I was up there this weekend. Didn't fish, but can tell you that water is a little swollen, but fishable. I'm pretty sure it came up a decent amount overnight Saturday.

I live in Two Rivers and am up there 4-5 times/week (yes, it's a disease). There are fish moving through the sloughs off the middle Chena (miles 26-36 or so) and there's been occasionally great fishing, but the river itself is still really cold and the fishing isn't back yet. The USGS gaging station at the second bridge is reporting temperatures and I've been keeping an eye on that, and it's still below 40F most of the time. That cold makes for slow fishing. If you stick to the slower-moving sloughs you should have some luck. Also, the ponds are (mostly) open and the fish are starting to rise. Try the 48-mile pond.

The website for the gaging station is here: http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nw...cd=00065,00060. You'll need to click to get water temperatures. Also, a good rule of thumb is that if the water height is above 16' the fishing is going to be more challenging.

Thanks for the link. Great resource!

Thanks for the reply guys. I have just one weekend (this coming) to give it a shot before I drive the family down to AZ for most of the summer (I know right what a backwards move that is). Will let you all know how it goes.

I was on Hodgins Slough this afternoon and the fishing was very good. Didn't try the river.