Thread: Just my thoughts...

Smile Just my thoughts...

I have been reading the many posts on this forum about the .44 mag and .45 Colt as well as the S&W N Frame and the Ruger Redhawk. I like both guns even though I have yet to get my Redhawk revolver and I like both calibers. Back in 1973 I bought my first Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag. with a 7.5 " barrel, maybe it was a Super Blackhawk. To big a gun for me to carry around so I bought a 6" S&W later that year. Sold it and got a 4" S&W. Over the years I went through several more S&W N Frames with 2.5, 4, and 5" barrels and one more 4.5 barreled Blackhawk. One of the Ruger's had a problem with the cylinder turning and one of the Smith's had a out of spec. cylinder, both were fixed and sold. The 5" 629 Classic was the easiest for me to shoot, it was still to heavy and I wanted some thing lighter. A long time ago I ordered a bunch of 250 grain LBT's from Veral Smith when he was doing business out of Washington state, that and 2400 powder saw much use in all the guns. When I first started hand loading the .44 mag. I always ended up with what the book said was a max load, I was a beginner. During those years I also went to 300 grain LBT's because they were there and by golly I needed to "man up".

Several years ago I had the local gun smith pull the 5" lugged barrel from the 629 Classic and fit a slim 4" Mountain Gun barrel on it. I also settled on the 280 grain LBT's because I thought the heck with the "man up" thing. I still have a couple of box's of 300 grain LBT's, don't know when I will ever use them. Any way, for me, I have what I consider a good packing, powerful combo that I can shoot reasonably well. Yup, I know there are more powerful .44 mag. loads available, have fun with them.

I have never been able to shake the urge for a 5 shot .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk with a 4" barrel put together by Hamilton Bowen or Gary Reader, got to have one and then I can "man up" again. I do think the .45 Colt has the potential to be more powerful then my .44 Mag. and it has history and the "cool factor" going for it. Both S&W and Ruger have had quality control issues and could have done a better job at controlling chamber, throat, barrel dimensions, barrel cylinder gap and neither one of them were smart/wise enough to get it perfect. That is why the true custom hand gun smith is in business. Both Ruger and S&W make a good hand gun, just not a perfect hand gun and they never will. For now they are the best thing going for the masses and we can argue the Ruger, S&W .44 mag. and .45 Colt thing till the cows come home. A brown bear won't know the difference, he will just be pissed off if we shoot him with our big bore hand gun and make all of us wish we had our big rifle in our hands!

I agree with most of what you posted, but if a proper load is selected and the shooter puts the bullet in the vitals the bear will be dead rather than pissed of and the shooter will be glad that he had the big bore revolver rather than wishing for something else

I'd be happy with either or. The 45 colt loaded hot is a great concept. I settled on a 3 in. barreled Talo with a Diamond D chest holster as my first big bore. The 320 grainers are stout, and I feel it's all I could ask for in a revolver. If the Talo model was available in 45 colt and not the 44 mag, I would've still brought it home. As a big-bore revolver newby, I'm glad I started with the 44 mag. Check out this 44 mag kill-fest, is still works yah know?:

Kill fest to say the least...!!! Them guys are good with their pistolas....lol

Last year I was looking for another pistol since I sold my 629 a few years back. All I really wanted was something to keep in the tent with me, while fishing some places, and a little bigger (but not too mush bigger) than the previous 44mag. I went with the Ruger 45 Colt when I realized I could shoot a bigger slug and faster than the 44 mag and not have to spend a hell of a lot. I reload but haven't started for the 45 yet, but those Buffalo Bore 325 grain rounds moving at 1325 fps ain't no slouch for sure.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Kill fest to say the least...!!! Them guys are good with their pistolas....lol

Last year I was looking for another pistol since I sold my 629 a few years back. All I really wanted was something to keep in the tent with me, while fishing some places, and a little bigger (but not too mush bigger) than the previous 44mag. I went with the Ruger 45 Colt when I realized I could shoot a bigger slug and faster than the 44 mag and not have to spend a hell of a lot. I reload but haven't started for the 45 yet, but those Buffalo Bore 325 grain rounds moving at 1325 fps ain't no slouch for sure.....lol
    I'm not disagreeing with your decision to go in a different direction, but I would like to give you a bit of an update in case you didn't know. With you having shot a very large bull moose with the ole 44 magnum, Im sure you'll be very pleased with the new info.

The Buffalo Bore 45 325 grain+P is $75 a box of 50. I paid $50 for a box of 50 of the Double Tap 44 mag 320 grain. The Buffalo Bore is 50 percent more expensive. Their listed velocity is identical to Double Tap's 44 mag 320 grain chrony-confirmed velocity.

Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P 325 Grain:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...long-flat-nose

Technical InformationCaliber: 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P
    Bullet Weight: 325 Grains
    Bullet Style: Lead Long Flat Nose
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 1267 ft. lbs.

Double Tap 44 Mag 320 grain:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/143...oint-box-of-50

Technical Information
    Caliber: 44 Remington MagnumBullet Weight: 320 GrainBullet Style: Wide Flat Nose Gas CheckCase Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps **Muzzle Energy: 1201 ft. lbs.

For heavy 45 Colt why stop at 325gr? Double Tap loads a 360gr at 1200fps. And according to DT...Operating at 27,500PSI. That 320gr 44mag round is probably around 40,000psi. Gotta love case capacity!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=433
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    For heavy 45 Colt why stop at 325gr? Double Tap loads a 360gr at 1200fps. And according to DT...Operating at 27,500PSI. That 320gr 44mag round is probably around 40,000psi. Gotta love case capacity!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=433
    Snyd, that 360 grain load is my back-up load that I carry in my Redhawk. Another great one to look at is the 335 grain load by Grizzly Cartridge. They are very accurate out of my 5 1/2-inch Bisley and I have clocked them at 1,350 fps. And, only 30,000 psi.......gotta love the .45 Colt!

Looks like ole guide might have to bypass buffalo bore all together! His reasons for going 45 colt will be met with the double tap, except for the "cheaper ammo" part.

After seeing the owner of buffalo bore come on this forum and call stand-up guys like Adfields and Armymark liars because their ammo failed and attempted to blaime them and their relative guns, 4rmerguide won't be at a loss IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your decision to go in a different direction, but I would like to give you a bit of an update in case you didn't know. With you having shot a very large bull moose with the ole 44 magnum, Im sure you'll be very pleased with the new info.

The Buffalo Bore 45 325 grain+P is $75 a box of 50. I paid $50 for a box of 50 of the Double Tap 44 mag 320 grain. The Buffalo Bore is 50 percent more expensive. Their listed velocity is identical to Double Tap's 44 mag 320 grain chrony-confirmed velocity.

Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P 325 Grain:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...long-flat-nose

Technical InformationCaliber: 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P
    Bullet Weight: 325 Grains
    Bullet Style: Lead Long Flat Nose
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 1267 ft. lbs.

Double Tap 44 Mag 320 grain:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/143...oint-box-of-50

Technical Information
    Caliber: 44 Remington MagnumBullet Weight: 320 GrainBullet Style: Wide Flat Nose Gas CheckCase Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps **Muzzle Energy: 1201 ft. lbs.
    Like I said...I plan on reloading the 45 colt soon (I have everything for reloading my rifles, just haven't gotten the dies for the colt yet), then we'll see what we can come up with. I think what appealed to me the most was that the 45 is actually a 45....lol where the 44 is even smaller. Doesn't matter I just wanted something other than the 44. Almost went with the 454 but just couldn't swing the extra $$$. And from what I saw, guys with much bigger guns (arms) than me, sure seemed to get pushed around quite a bit from that 454. Even tho I used to be able to shoot the sh*t out of the old Smith, I like my decision and am happy with it. I just hope I can shoot it more than I used to.

Oh and btw.....the only reason I even have the Buffalo rounds is because they guy cut me a deal (along with a cheap holster) when I bought the Ruger. So I'm not stuck on them or anything. Thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    ... Almost went with the 454 but just couldn't swing the extra $$$. And from what I saw, guys with much bigger guns (arms) than me, sure seemed to get pushed around quite a bit from that 454. Even tho I used to be able to shoot the sh*t out of the old Smith, I like my decision and am happy with it. I just hope I can shoot it more than I used to.

Oh and btw.....the only reason I even have the Buffalo rounds is because they guy cut me a deal (along with a cheap holster) when I bought the Ruger. So I'm not stuck on them or anything. Thanks for the info...

You know, I bought a 4" 45 Colt Redhawk a few years back and then put a 454 cylinder in it. I got a deal on a donor gun, sold the parts afterward and it didn't cost me anything to do it. If I had it to do again I wouldn't spend the time. The 45 Colt in a Ruger is a fantastic cartridge. I've got a SBH Hunter in 45 Colt and it's a keeper the way it is. Everything from 200, 255gr pinkers to 275, 335, 355gr thumpers, the 45 Colt in a Ruger will get the job done. Get your dies get to reloading and enjoy that 100year old "lowly 45 Colt"!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I shoot the 45colt 95% of the time out of my 454 Alaskan.There are not Grand Dads 45colt for sure. I have settled on the 335gr HC for the 45 and 454 and believe either will do just fine.If I was still shooting the 44mag I would drop the big bullets I used to use and go back to 260 or 280 HC bullets and know they would also work just fine.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You know, I bought a 4" 45 Colt Redhawk a few years back and then put a 454 cylinder in it. I got a deal on a donor gun, sold the parts afterward and it didn't cost me anything to do it. If I had it to do again I wouldn't spend the time. The 45 Colt in a Ruger is a fantastic cartridge. I've got a SBH Hunter in 45 Colt and it's a keeper the way it is. Everything from 200, 255gr pinkers to 275, 335, 355gr thumpers, the 45 Colt in a Ruger will get the job done. Get your dies get to reloading and enjoy that 100year old "lowly 45 Colt"!

I've got and shot and reloaded(including casting bullets for) for 3 .44 mags, 2 .357 mags, 1 .41 mag, 1 500 mag and have never shot a .454 Casull so, your conversion of the 4" Redhawk is still on the back burner in my mind but, I think I'll stick with rubber Pacmayr grips if I do?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've got and shot and reloaded(including casting bullets for) for 3 .44 mags, 2 .357 mags, 1 .41 mag, 1 500 mag and have never shot a .454 Casull so, your conversion of the 4" Redhawk is still on the back burner in my mind but, I think I'll stick with rubber Pacmayr grips if I do?
    Steve
    I hear ya Steve.... scratch the itch!! 454 is quite a round. I'm just not convinced it gives that much more real world advantage over the 45 Colt in a 4" gun. But, the 454 Ruger cylinder does have tighter chambers and it does give a guy the option. I don't regret it. It's a cool gun and I'll keep it.

I've had the "itch for a fifty" for a while now and have recently been scratchin it! I've got the donor gun, barrel, and bisley parts and will be sending it off in a week or so to come back as a 500 Linebaugh. I've never shot one and am very intrigued by the cartridge. .510 bore in a 30,000 psi cartridge.

Best of luck with your project.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I don't understand why someone who is already reloading .308Win wouldn't spend the $50 on a quality die set and work up their own load.

I agree with the OP that .44mag v- .45Colt in a Ruger is a dead heat so to speak. I went with .45Colt over the .44magnum because I have had a couple misfires using H-110 between 0dF and +30df, going with the .45 gives me a world of published powder options not available (published) for the .44magnum.