Thread: Bear guide

Default Bear guide

Does anyone know of a black bear guide that hunts over bait within 3 or 4 hours of Anchorage?

There are two that I know of in the Glenallen/ Copper center area. Wild West Klutina Lodge and Fullkurl outdoors or outfitters. Plenty of bears out there and usually a slam dunk on filling a tag. I work for Wild West you can call 344-4500 to talk about openings and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post
    Does anyone know of a black bear guide that hunts over bait within 3 or 4 hours of Anchorage?
    Why hire a guide for black bear and baiting?

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I ask the same question. There are many spots just off the road system that are close enough to anchorage where you can get a black bear. There is no guide required in the state of Alaska for a black bear. If you still really want a guide I would recommend going through a guide out of the Prince William Sound area. The bears are bigger than the interior blackies and you only have to drive to Whittier which is only an hour out of Anchorage. You may also look into flying across the inlet to Beluga. I have heard that there are hunting clubs that will let you sit on their bait for free because they have a real bear problem over there. Maybe somebody else could chime in with more information on that. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    If you still really want a guide I would recommend going through a guide out of the Prince William Sound area. The bears are bigger than the interior blackies and you only have to drive to Whittier which is only an hour out of Anchorage.
    Years ago I met a guy that guided for trophy blackies out of Cordova. The habitat over there produces some real bruisers for sure. And the hides are absolutely incredible.

None better than Larry Mcmurphy of Woodland Taxidermy. He runs a boat in PWS during the summer.

I have been here for four years and havent even had a shot! I just got back for Prince of Whales and didn't even see anything. I just figured I would hire a guide just to et the job done. My goal is to leave here with one which is in three months!

Dreez, I know the feeling. I have been going for sheep for 3 years now and haven't gotten one. I've seen lots of full curls but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Sometimes I too just feel like hiring a guide. Too bad you can't bait for sheep. J/K. Where are you at? Are you in Anchorage? I may be able to recommend a spot for you to go. No monsters, but there are lots of blackies. Let me know if you are willing to give it one more shot without a guide and I'll PM you with a spot.

You might try one of the boat based hunts, I had great success with Home Ocean Charter, Saw plenty of bear and did some great halibut fishing in the mornings.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Dreez, I know the feeling. I have been going for sheep for 3 years now and haven't gotten one. I've seen lots of full curls but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Sometimes I too just feel like hiring a guide. Too bad you can't bait for sheep. J/K. Where are you at? Are you in Anchorage? I may be able to recommend a spot for you to go. No monsters, but there are lots of blackies. Let me know if you are willing to give it one more shot without a guide and I'll PM you with a spot.
    Yeah I'll give anything a shot, I do live in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post
    I have been here for four years and havent even had a shot! I just got back for Prince of Whales and didn't even see anything. I just figured I would hire a guide just to et the job done. My goal is to leave here with one which is in three months!
    I see you are leaving in 3 months, are you in the military? May know someone who can help you. Just hate to see you dump a bunch of $$ out to a guide for a black bear.

I see you are leaving in 3 months, are you in the military? May know someone who can help you. Just hate to see you dump a bunch of $$ out to a guide for a black bear.
    Yes I am military.

What are you doing this weekend? Talk to northway and see what info he has and then let me know what you come up with. Got some suggestions for you.

edit: You looking for a black or cinnamon?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What are you doing this weekend? Talk to northway and see what info he has and then let me know what you come up with. Got some suggestions for you.

edit: You looking for a black or cinnamon?
    I free Friday after noon and all day Saturday. I want a bear no preference!

According to Kenny Jones in Soldotna there have been lots of poor quality hides coming back from PWS this spring so far...

Mod elan and northway I tried Pming you but my system doesn't appear to be working. You can email me at dreez06@yahoo.com

Patience. I got all 3 pm's. We're exploring some options for you. Unfortunately my partner and I don't have our baits out. A bait is going to be a higher success rate than spot and stalk but I haven't been hearing anything locally on baits yet. This breakup is throwing things out of whack. You'll get a call from a fellow service member shortly.