Thread: Need input Fast!

Default Need input Fast!

I've got a line on a 1983 Wooldridge 16 plus. Asking price is $10.5K. Boat looks in great shape but the motor has me concerned due to it's potential age and unknown hours. The boats been in salt water both in Alaska and Florida. If anybody has opinions on this boat I'm all ears. I'm wanting a boat for Sag and Ivashak running and moose hunting with my hunting partner. What do you all think, is it worth it?

COMPLETED OUTFITTED

Walk through windshield, 115 hp Mariner w/jet unit, 2 fish-on rod holders, Humminbird fish & depth finder, Raytheon VHF Radio, cup holder, anchor & line, 2 fenders, 2 life vests, 2 flotation cushion, fire extinguisher, 1500 gph bilge pump w/automatic float switch, windshield wipers, mooring lights, bow & stern lights, full camper top, engine cover, outboard shop manual, owners manual and some extra parts.

Specifications

Center line length -16' 6"
    Beam -7'
    Sides height -28V2', alloy 5086 H34 .100 Bottom width -60", alloy 6061 T6, heat treated
    Hull weight, with floors -650 Ibs.
    Maximum HP rating -140 HP
    Capacity -5 persons or 1200 Ibs. (persons, motor & gear)

Walk-thru windshield model available

Is that the one on the Lemon Lot at Elmendorf? Looks like a decent rig. Having been up the Ivishak, though, I think it might be a bit heavy. That river runs out of water in a big hurry, and you will plant the boat on gravel. lighter boats are easier to push off. One trip I had a 16 ft Jon boat, 40/28 Jet. we had to unload it and all 3 of us pushing were able to unstick it. ALos took a real heavy 19' Sprint with 110 Jet up there and made it up fine, but the river was well over flood stage. planted it several times on the way back down...water level drop several feet overnight. We had to drag, push and cuss the thing through a trickle of water for 400 yards to get it deep ienough to float after the first night in camp.

Did it have a tunnel hull? I saw it the other day (if it's the same rig)and can't remember.

I'd probably have a mechanic take a look at the motor, being it's 24 years old and been in salt, but if all checks out, then why not? Just be aware a boat is gonna take work...an old boat even more.

Oh, I didn't notice it comes with a cup holder...by all means, buy it NOW!!!!

Default if price is firm I would walk away from it

too old for the money and like you said motor might be shot. I bought about last fall that was a few years newer than that. sold it but the motor ended up being shot, ran but needed more work than what it is worth. sold it before we knew all that though, buddy bought another one on his own. ended up running up 20mile. one cylinder is 0 compression. took it in last friday and have not talked to him to see if it is shot. J Kimberly said it sounded like it might need a $2500 rebuild. For what he is asking you can almost get a year old boat for that price. Seen a 2005 sell for under that price. definately shop around. have a appriaser look at it. guarantee it is not worth that much.

Default Ivashak

Floated 30 miles down the Ivashak last year. We had to drag the rafts a lot the first 10-15 miles. After that it was not as much, but still had to drag it once in a while.

Seems quite a bit high to me. I would wait.

That Roughneck tunnel hull with the 50 hp Jet sittin' next to it is a much better suited boat for the Ivishak...seems like that much tunnel might have cavitation problems though. No experience with that though, it might work great. Looks like about a 5-6" tunnel.