Thread: UTV vs. 2 ATV's

Default UTV vs. 2 ATV's

In an effort to dream about the "big move" to AK in a few years, I was wondering what you suggest. I am debating on weather to purchase a UTV w/ back seat installed in it or purchase two ATV's? I have a family of four, kids will be 8&4 years old. We would used it for pleasure as a family and hunting during the seasons. Don't know how safe the UTV's are in this configuration? I thought about a larger sized ATV for me (500cc or bigger) and a smaller one for my wife/older son. We will be living somewhere close to ELmendorf. Any pointers you have would be appreciated.
    THanks!

I've done UTVs, two ATVs....

UTVs- cons- heavy and if you stick one get ready to work at it. A four passenger UTV is big, almost Jeep sized and needs a big trailer, a two seater with add in seats doesn't leave cargo space... pros- the whole family goes in one rig. maybe cheaper, maybe not....probably not now that I think about it.

ATVs- cons- twice as much maintenance....pros- one can pull the other out if stuck or broke down.

Think seriously before you get a machine bigger than 500cc. I've never found the bigger engines to do anything but suck gas and weigh more. More horsepower sounds good but most trail conditions won't allow enough traction to put it all to the ground. A lot of times I could bury my 400 to the frame with a blip of the throttle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It's a tough call. I've had allot of both. I've had rhinos, rangers, ranger 6x6, polaris wheelers and yamaha wheelers. Hodgeman had good advice. If you go with a wheeler do not go bigger than a 500CC. All you are doing is adding torque and weight which just gets you stuck and breaks drive shafts. My wife does love sidexsides. Its really nice when its raining to be sitting in a nice cab. There are some other threads that talk about this, but make sure you buy a machine that is EFI. I stopped buying machines that were carbureted because they just won't start in the cold. Even with a choke, I could never get my 660 rhino to start, or my polaris sportsman. I have had a few of both UTV's and wheelers. In fact, I had a rental business and I can tell you that they all eventually wear out and break. Another way to go is to buy a 2 seater wheeler. You can get a polaris sportsman x2 for about 6500 and they are great machines if you just want to put a smaller person on the back. If you buy two of them then you have the possibility of hauling 4 people. I currently have a sportsman 500HO EFI with mud tires and decked out for hunting but I find that I like to take my wife's X2 hunting even more because it has allot more space in the back. There are also many places that I can get my wheelers where I could never get my UTV. Mostly because of width issues. Do what hodgeman says and buy light. Most guys that buy heavy wheelers regret it. You don't need a huge wheeler. I have hauled out an entire moose on my 500 in one trip. If you are planning on plowing and using it as a family rig I would go with a rhino or ranger. You can still take it down almost any trail and they are very comfortable. They also push more snow than a wheeler if you are planning on plowing with it. Hope this helps.

I plowed snow with my Rhino 660 and it worked fine other than really hard to start in the cold. Totally agree on EFI...fantastic to hit the starter and just go.

I currently have a 400 Can AM Max 2 seater and it's fantastic...the extra wheelbase helps it climb like a goat. We had a couple of Ranchers with rear seat boxes and for smaller kids they were just great.

When I had a UTV they were pretty new on the scene and wider than every trail around...now there pretty common so I don't know if that applies anymore.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut View Post
    In an effort to dream about the "big move" to AK in a few years, I was wondering what you suggest. I am debating on weather to purchase a UTV w/ back seat installed in it or purchase two ATV's? I have a family of four, kids will be 8&4 years old. We would used it for pleasure as a family and hunting during the seasons. Don't know how safe the UTV's are in this configuration? I thought about a larger sized ATV for me (500cc or bigger) and a smaller one for my wife/older son. We will be living somewhere close to ELmendorf. Any pointers you have would be appreciated.
    THanks!
    I like UTV but when considering considering your post ... I would recommend two side by sides. Especially if you plan to use them where you currently live.

But with the move in a few years ... would suggest "be patient and re ask the question". as your interests and family dynamics will be much different then.