Thread: mokai

Default mokai

I just received the Mokai with the Subaru 7 hp..... Ilive in Matsu Valley ... and would appreciate input on Bear hunting on local rivers..
    thx someguyinak

The Mokai is a neat little craft, and I do not mean to sound sarcastic in any way...but where would you put a bear if you harvested one?

I do agree that you need to do some testing to figure out how you would carry out a bear hide/skull. Once solved there are bears along pretty much all of the local rivers so take your mokai and get out there!

The weight capacity is 360lbs and can seat 2 people front to back. That said the bear would be between your legs in the hold. I would imagine with the new motor it will perform better than previous models. We had discussed doing the same thing but somebody sold both his mokai.

Quote Originally Posted by someguyinak View Post
    I just received the Mokai with the Subaru 7 hp..... Ilive in Matsu Valley ... and would appreciate input on Bear hunting on local rivers..
    thx someguyinak
    Was that you in the parking lot at Wasilla Lake yesterday? I almost stopped by to gawk a bit, but was in a hurry to get where I was going. If so, did you get her wet?

Cool videos! Those things look like fun.

Has anyone tried to figure out a decent inflatable trailer-boat that a mokai might be able to pull, that would hold a caribou, or moose, or bear? Those mokai really look like a lot of fun, but I always travel heavier than that, anymore.

Acat raft pumped up hard and tied tight to the back works, of course you want to be coming down stream with the load.

Have you tested any capacities for that setup? Or have any pics? Sounds good so far, thanks.

Looks like a really good set up for a small duck boat. I might have to check into these for duck lake
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have no pictures but have brought the head with horns and some meat out about 790 pounds in boat slow and deep in the water. I weighed around 295 at the time. You can also tow a kayak with gear or .... it just slows you down.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    I have no pictures but have brought the head with horns and some meat out about 790 pounds in boat slow and deep in the water. I weighed around 295 at the time. You can also tow a kayak with gear or .... it just slows you down.
    Wow, that's a serious load.

I was thinking inflatable so that it wouldn't drag a person down when they're going in (up stream).

You can not fill the cat raft and tie it to the boat, then fill it when you need it.

The 2 on craigslist was a good deal never been used.

Got two...next year we can try them out if you are still around.

I have contemplated on taking my dark green one out there many times...the issue is the grass. just like a jet..if you get a reed or some of that crap on the bottom..you are back to paddling. Not that I dont mind it.

It also will limit the amount of gear you can haul. I developed a way to attach a bag of decoys to it pretty easy on the front. but limits my view. Even built a skirt out of the fast grass that looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Looks like a really good set up for a small duck boat. I might have to check into these for duck lake
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Plenty of room in the hull for a brown or black bear. I have hauled my twin girls in mine 50lbs each and it worked great..slowed me down a bit, but I dont see any issues with hauling game and gear at a reasonable weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    The Mokai is a neat little craft, and I do not mean to sound sarcastic in any way...but where would you put a bear if you harvested one?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.