Thread: King fishing the Salt

Default King fishing the Salt

Im thinking about bringing the boat down from fairbanks and trying my hand at trolling for kings in cook inlet.

Has anyone had luck trolling close to the mouth of the kenai?

I know deep creek area can be productive and will probably give it a shot.

any ideas, comments or random trash talk would be great.

tight lines!

Emmett

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    Im thinking about bringing the boat down from fairbanks and trying my hand at trolling for kings in cook inlet.
    Has anyone had luck trolling close to the mouth of the kenai?
    I know deep creek area can be productive and will probably give it a shot.
    any ideas, comments or random trash talk would be great.
    tight lines!
    Emmett
    In the 20 odd years I've been fishing the Kenai Peninsula I've never heard of anyone fishing the mouth of the Kenai for kings and I've never heard a scientific reason not to. I would suspect that it probably has to do with the fact that when they get there they're entering their spawning mode and aren't feeding like they do further south like around Deep Creek to Anchor. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I would also suspect that it's a really tough area to troll because it stays really shallow out from the mouth of the river for quite a distance. Not to mention the tidal currents up around there probably can be pretty treacherous when the tide is really running. Take a look at it on the NOAA chart and you'll see what I mean. I've heard of people taking their boats out of the river into the inlet to fish for halibut, but never for kings.

But I do know that from now until about the beginning of July the Deep Creek to Anchor area can be absolutely red hot for those kings that are heading north.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

The water around the mouth of the Kenai is very muddy, I think the fish would have a pretty tough time finding your bait. The fishing is a lot better a few miles up the river.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

thanks muttley. I love river kings and the brighter the better. i think catching them in the salt would be the ultimate thrill!

i was checking out your underwater videos. those are really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Emmett View Post
    thanks muttley. I love river kings and the brighter the better. i think catching them in the salt would be the ultimate thrill!

i was checking out your underwater videos. those are really cool!
    Hey, you're very welcome! Yeah, kings that have entered the river just don't compare both in fight and taste to a nice fresh saltwater king.

And thanks on the videos, too. I haven't had my cameras running in a couple of years now, so I think maybe it's time to get them fired up again and shoot some more. There's nothing like being able to see what's going on down there at any given time. And clients really love being able to watch it in real time. Though I had a guy once that didn't even want to look at my recorded videos because he considered it "cheating" or something like that. I assured him that it helps you figure out what works and what doesn't, but other than that it doesn't automatically put fish on your hook for you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com