Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Success from the kayak!

Default Success from the kayak!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336892465.872907.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1336892491.251931.jpgI did it! Nice little chicken and a king!
    I had several kings take the bait as well . Just had a hard time getting them to take the hook! I as bested though by another kayaker. She got
    Two nice halibut, one being 45lbs! The other looked like its twin too

congrats, looks like fun. What were you using for the king?

nice job man.

Way to go! Catching fish in the salt in a kayak is a rush! I wouldn't say you got bested, even if she HAD of gotten a king too, I'd just say another kayaker had a good day too. Get one much bigger than that and you will be hog-tying it and trailing it in, a halibut is hard to beat well enough to put in the kayak with you! Hope you catch a 100 pounder, can't wait to hear the story...

Sweet! can see the pictures here! nice!

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    congrats, looks like fun. What were you using for the king?
    I was trolling a herring behind a kone zone flasher

Here's a shirt video of the halibut catch. It was pretty easy. The fish was very lethargic. Plus I had a huge net and he was small
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M9TgDhFxH8o

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336892465.872907.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1336892491.251931.jpgI did it! Nice little chicken and a king!
    I had several kings take the bait as well . Just had a hard time getting them to take the hook!
    Nice fish! How big was the king? And where were you fishing?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Nice! Get one under your belt for the Anchor Point Derby!!!

Kings and halibut! What could be better? Was it a feeder?

Great job!!!!!!!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lmqnne
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Hope you catch a 100 pounder, can't wait to hear the story...
    I have to wonder if a guy was to catch a big butt, maybe over 100, if the darn thing couldn't roll over a kayak...I mean if you were using heavy enough line that it wouldn't break...???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to wonder if a guy was to catch a big butt, maybe over 100, if the darn thing couldn't roll over a kayak...I mean if you were using heavy enough line that it wouldn't break...???
    I had a friend that caught one kayaking out of Seward once that was just over 100 lbs. He ended up having to paddle in to a beach and fight it in from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Nice fish! How big was the king? And where were you fishing?
    I was fishing at whiskey Gulch. This king was a feeder. He was pretty small, only 15 lbs, give or take. I had another on that I got a glimpse of and it was a lot bigger. Probably would have went 25-30 lbs. I will say though this king gave a heck of a fight. He slammed the bait and had the rod just doubled the whole time. My heart was racing! I was surprised when I got him at the 'yak and he was so small.

I was fishing at whiskey Gulch. This king was a feeder. He was pretty small, only 15 lbs, give or take. I had another on that I got a glimpse of and it was a lot bigger. Probably would have went 25-30 lbs. I will say though this king gave a heck of a fight. He slammed the bait and had the rod just doubled the whole time. My heart was racing! I was surprised when I got him at the 'yak and he was so small.
    LOL! I've had 10 lb. feeders on my line that I thought were at least 20 lbs. or more. That's what I love about fishing for kings in the salt. I caught one once around Whiskey Gulch that was in the 40's and it was an absolute freight train when it ran. All you can do is hold on and let it go. I can't even imagine trying to boat one in a kayak!

LOL! I've had 10 lb. feeders on my line that I thought were at least 20 lbs. or more. That's what I love about fishing for kings in the salt. I caught one once around Whiskey Gulch that was in the 40's and it was an absolute freight train when it ran. All you can do is hold on and let it go. I can't even imagine trying to boat one in a kayak!
    That was like that 40#er I caught halibut fishing in 20' of water. I've caught em' bigger in the Kenai but they were nothing like that fish. Too bad it was on halibut gear.

I don't know how long you've been here, but wonder if you got into any of those late run Kenai kings in the salt years ago? A friend of mine did and said those 60-80 pounders out there where incredible. I missed out on that. Not that there isn't still a chance, but it's not like it used to be...

I had a friend that caught one kayaking out of Seward once that was just over 100 lbs. He ended up having to paddle in to a beach and fight it in from there.
    I've caught 2 ~90lb fish from a 9ft zodiac and I had to bring them both to the beach...No danger of tipping over, ect. If they want to run, they're fighting the drag on the reel + the pole, not the boat.

Excellent job, Matt.........I guess I'll have to tag along on one of your trips so u can show me how its done! Stay in touch.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That was like that 40#er I caught halibut fishing in 20' of water. I've caught em' bigger in the Kenai but they were nothing like that fish. Too bad it was on halibut gear.

I don't know how long you've been here, but wonder if you got into any of those late run Kenai kings in the salt years ago? A friend of mine did and said those 60-80 pounders out there where incredible. I missed out on that. Not that there isn't still a chance, but it's not like it used to be...
    Yeah, I started fishing Whiskey Gulch about 20 years ago and back then there were definitely two distinct runs---early and late---and I'd fish them both. The biggest king I ever caught there was probably about 45 lbs. or so, but you'd always hear about someone that had pulled one in that was in that 60 to 80 lb. range.

Charterboat Operator

good job Matt, we were just a bit away cheering you on!! First time my crew had seen a kayak out there, they were impressed. you looked like you you were making good headway against the tide on your smiling return to the beach!
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    good job Matt, we were just a bit away cheering you on!! First time my crew had seen a kayak out there, they were impressed. you looked like you you were making good headway against the tide on your smiling return to the beach!
    pb
    Thanks! Nice boat you have there! I thought I recognized the name. That was a good spot over there. What makes it so special? I had two hits there in short order. The first one I was holding the rod and it about got taken out of my hand!

Thanks! Nice boat you have there! I thought I recognized the name. That was a good spot over there. What makes it so special? I had two hits there in short order. The first one I was holding the rod and it about got taken out of my hand!
    If you're talking about Whiskey Gulch it can be really spotty like that at times. If I catch a fish in one particular spot I'll swing right around and go right through it again. Lots of times catching another fish in the same area. My theory is that they're concentrating on bait that is hanging out in one particular area so where there's one fish there usually will be more. But it can change daily and even hourly. Some people will swear by certain areas, but in the 20 or so years I've been fishing there I've never found a particular "hot" spot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast