Thread: Moose Creek

Default Moose Creek

well since you guys(icb12) have talked me out of the indian river trip due to the 100% possibility of being eaten...lol. I am also not a fan of bears, had a few run in with them and thats enough for me, i always carry my 12gauge and a can of mace but the thought of big pissy grizzleys has changed my mind, so instead i think i am gonna plan a float down moose creek down to the deshka. I have not fished this area since i was a little boy, my uncle owned a lodge on kroto creek(actually called the Kroto Creek Lodge). I heard its a nice 4-5 day float and since i work on the slope that will work out great for me. i would be using a 9 or 10' cataraft depending on what i buy, what i am wondering what are some things i should prepare for besides the typical alaskan mombo jumbo ie. weather etc.. should i bring a saw of some kind. Food will all be freeze dried or just fresh caught. I know to bring water purification. what else should i bring. what kind of tackle etc.. I have a nice 8wt for reds and silvers and am gonna purchase a new 6wt this next week as the tip of my cheapo lamiglass went limp like an 80yr old man last trip to the kenai. any info would be great. I love the outdoors and want to make the best of the summer but the truth is i have been living in San Diego for the last 10 yrs and am kinda out of the loop to the good spots. A prepared Marine is a happy Marine ... Semper Fi and tight lines,
    Kraig

From what I'm told most all the land now is private along it so making camping harder than it used to be. High water mark and down.

Are you going alone?
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

nah not really into solo camping kinda takes the fun out of things plus not really a safe option. would be willing to go with anyone really?

Power Drifter what you you mean by

High water mark and down?

You have a right to travel down water ways. You don't have a right to just camp on someones land. You can camp from the sand bars up to where the highest point the river goes under normal flow.

Kraig,
    Hello. We floated Moose into the Deshka over Memorial Day weekend a few years back. We had Willow Air pick us up at Neil Lake. You could float to the mouth, but you would have to arrange for a river shuttle to get you back up to the Deshka Landing. Finding camping spots is no problem. After you get out of the Petersville area you will not see any body for a few days, plenty of gravel bars. What time of year are you planning for? We did late May and had adequate water flow, but I have heard of low water nightmare stories on the Moose. After you get to the forks there should be plenty of water. The rivers are a easy class 1. Watch for sweepers up high, as it is a small creek with lots of bends. As far as essential equipment, be sure to take a Spot or sat phone. Looking at the Gazetteer it looks like it is close to civilization, but the middle section is fairly remote. We went three days without seeing anybody on a holiday weekend.