Thread: Fishing near Cooper Creek Cmpgrd?

Default Fishing near Cooper Creek Cmpgrd?

Hey all,
    I do most of my fishing in the Matsu Valley rivers and lakes. My parents are coming up the 2nd week of July. I booked a coupla nights at the Cooper Creek Campground in the Kenai. Any idea what is running in the river there that time of year? Reds? Any success fishing right at the campground? Need to move downstream for success? Any info would be helpful. I'm hoping to get my Dad onto some fish.
    Thank you in advance,
    Johnny

You'd do much better driving down the russian, theres pretty much nothing in cooper creek itself and the reds will just be starting to show up in the lower river then. You can fish the shelf and riffles of the keani at the mouth and theres usally a bow or two hanging out there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I fished the upper river about the same time last summer. We didn't fish right there at Cooper Creek, but drifted from Kenai lake to Skilak (spent a night camped on the river). Anyways, found that the fishing was better than we expected. Picked up fish drifting flesh flys and dark streamers with spinning rods as we moved down river in the main channel and we got out to fish specific spots that we always have hit. If you can find some side channels to access from the road definitely take a look as those were surprisingly productive and fairly wadable. The fish didn't seem to be particularly picky as far as flys went....I think the most important thing was to get it in front of them. We caught fish on beads, flesh flys, sculpins, bead head nymphs etc... Other than the Kenai, you could also hit the Russain and there are few other creeks and lakes in the area that with a little hinking have some darn good fishing as well. Check the map for ideas. Have fun and enjoy yourself....it really is a fun area to fish.