Thread: setting up next to creek

Default setting up next to creek

Have any of you set up your bait sites near a creek? Was wondering if anyone has had issues with creek noise effecting bears wanting to come to the bait. I know blackies like things to be real quiet before they come in I have never set up along a creek but am considering a spot that has a creek flowing close by.

I'm between a creek and a river and had a hit the first day I put in my bait. I don't see it as an issue. Possibly covers a bit of your sound and they don't seem to mind it.

I haven't bear baited but I have wondered around plenty of creeks and rivers. It is pretty rare that I spend any time near a creek without finding bear tracks so I imagine that they are ok with the noise.

They are a little more cautious but they will come in just the same. Sometimes you can hear them splashing on the way in.

I think they are primarily using the sense of smell over hearing. You should ask yourself if the creek noise is going to affect you. On several different baits we have heard them coming in before seeing them. One site is next to a large pond and we can hear them coming around the far end long before they're visible. Would hate to be crawling down from the stand to go home thinking you're skunked for the day and spooking one off that's coming in.

Two things I have found in setting a bait near and fast flowing noisy stream. The first is that you can't hear the bear approaching your site and I often hear faint sounds as they approach. The other is that they often run toward the creek when hit - it only takes one time of trying to fish a large bear out of a fast flowing stream and then trying to skin a wet, cold bear. I had one bait on a bubbling stream one year and moved it away from the stream. Good luck on your hunt.