Thread: Trip to yakobi island

Default Trip to yakobi island

Hey I am planning a trip to yakobi island in a few weeks for kings. Does anybody have some advise for fishing kings out there. I am taking my own boat over from Juneau and I am also planning on throwing shrimp pots. Are there any good spots for shrimp near lisansky inlet? I made the trip out there last year for memorial day, but I couldn't seam to find any fish but small rock fish. Any help will be much appreciated. I am planning to be out there for 5 days so I should have plenty of time to figure out where the fish are.

Moose,

Most of the bottom close to shore is covered with rocks and kelp, which is great habitat for rockfish. If all you caught were rockfish you were probably fishing too close to shore and/or there weren't any kings around to be caught. (I think you were a week early last year) When I fish out there I usually do better on kings, and worse on rockfish, by fishing in water that is at least 150' deep with relatively smooth bottom. Other times the kings are in tight and you just have to fish through the rockfish.

Lisianski Inlet looks promising for prawns, but I have never tried and the very few floats I have seen in there appeared to be king crab gear.

Big_E

For spot shrimp, Go to Stag bay, the south side of Lisianske stright, It is about 360 feet deep, nice side walls to put the shrimp pots, I have got quite a few from the bay, for the kings, I criss cross the inlet near Miners Island and to the north of the island, sometimes I go south of Miners island near the kelp beds, West side, had my biggest king on there, it dove back into the kelp and broke off, so if you get one on try to pull it away from the kelp as soon as possible. Also at the ocean end of the stright to the south is Porcupine rock, I have caught a lot of kings just NW of the Rock. I just troll in about a 1/2 mile circle, If you stop and drop to the bottom, lots of Yellow eye and halibut. Hawknehee bay has sockeye at the right time of the year, easy to get some in the shallow bay, but be careful getting into the bay, lots of rocks on the entrance. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    For spot shrimp, Go to Stag bay, the south side of Lisianske stright, It is about 360 feet deep, nice side walls to put the shrimp pots, I have got quite a few from the bay, for the kings, I criss cross the inlet near Miners Island and to the north of the island, sometimes I go south of Miners island near the kelp beds, West side, had my biggest king on there, it dove back into the kelp and broke off, so if you get one on try to pull it away from the kelp as soon as possible. Also at the ocean end of the stright to the south is Porcupine rock, I have caught a lot of kings just NW of the Rock. I just troll in about a 1/2 mile circle, If you stop and drop to the bottom, lots of Yellow eye and halibut. Hawknehee bay has sockeye at the right time of the year, easy to get some in the shallow bay, but be careful getting into the bay, lots of rocks on the entrance. Have fun

Thanks for the great info, is there a particular color or rig that is used out there. I know a purple huchie worked good last summer near Juneau

Last time I was at Yakobi Is it was first of Sept, good fishing and deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by moose1020 View Post
    Thanks for the great info, is there a particular color or rig that is used out there. I know a purple huchie worked good last summer near Juneau
    A big flasher is standard. What is best to drag behind it seems to vary quite a bit. A 6" white hoochie worked well for us last year. Other years herring have worked better. Give your purple hoochie a try. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be your secret weapon.

Big_E

White Point Wilson Dart with the blue and pink colored back. Deadly Elfin Cove Lisiankski Inlet Yakobi king lure.

Sobie2

Get out there and start dragging some gear! Anywhere from Yakobi rock south should be money. I have had luck @120ft.