Thread: Anyone shoot bp double rifles?

Default Anyone shoot bp double rifles?

Considering I'll likely never afford a cartridge double rifle, I've considered getting one of the pedersolli bp doubles in either 58 or 72 caliber, and I'm leaning towards the 72. Just curious if anyone has one, and what they think about the accuracy, ie regulation or lack there of.

Talking double mz

Paul, I was going to buy a double .58 Kodiak a few years back and the guy let me take it and shoot it...glad I did. After firing one barrel, and was sighting to fire the second, I luckily noticed that the bullet was partially sticking out of the end of the barrel. I reseated it and then fired. I was surprised by the bullet moving and to see if it was just some kind of fluke, I loaded both barrels again and fired the first, then checked the second barrel with ramrod...it was partially up in the barrel again. I found that everytime I had to check and everytime the bullets had moved. I wouldn't hunt with it cause you couldn't trust the second shot without checking it first, thus defeating the purpose of it. Acuracy was not regulated very good either. Now, maybe it was just this particular rifle and/or bullets, but it broke me from suckin eggs wanting a double...too dangerous, and I wasn't about to try numerous guns to find one that worked right.

That kinda defeats the purpose of having a double I wonder if the balls were undersized for the rifle

What I've always wanted to do is get one of the 12 bore bp doubles and cut it down to have a muzzle loading howdah. But I just can't stomach spending $1000 on a rifle and altering it to such an extent.

Talking db ml

Paul: That could have very well been the problem...I use hollow base minnies, and they are pretty snug in by other 58s, but the double may have had a generous barrel. Another bullet type may have worked just fine, but there doesn't seem to be much info out here to draw from. Haven't seen much in print either, so good luck with your dilemna, if one can call it that. Let us in on your decision and progress, ok?

Default Dbl BP

I have one of the .72's and have taken antelope and mule deer out to 100 yds. I haven't had the problem of the the second round as in the .58 in the previous thread. I would assume as the previous reply that the projectile or patch was to loose. I've only had 2 problems, one was the original nipples needed replaced with after market ones and each barrel does not shoot to the same point of aim. Both shoot the same left to right but the right barrel shoots higher (I've never needed a second shot), I use it for my longer shots without hold over. Each barrel is extremely accurate at 100 yds. with a patched round ball and 100 grs. of FFG Hodg. Triple Seven Powder. You will also need to put on a good recoil pad as it has a butt plate that will make you set up and take notice upon recoil.

If you go big your never under gunned.

Default Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Paul: That could have very well been the problem...I use hollow base minnies, and they are pretty snug in by other 58s, but the double may have had a generous barrel. Another bullet type may have worked just fine, but there doesn't seem to be much info out here to draw from. Haven't seen much in print either, so good luck with your dilemna, if one can call it that. Let us in on your decision and progress, ok?
    My guess is if these were Minie Bullets they were undersized. Minies were designed to expand and engage the rifleing as pressure deformed the hollow base. Minies were designed undersize to allow rapid loading of muskets after fouling became evident from previous shots. Nothing like having to stop in the middle of a battle and clean your musket.
    Double rifles are designed to to be loaded like a Thompson Hawken with bullets that engrave on loading and require force to seat, Or use a tight patched round ball.
    I believe the standard 58 Minie bullet is .577 diameter.
    A friend of mine has both the 58 and 72 and hog hunts with them both. Not sure what his input would be but I'll call Tommorrow and ask.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Input

I called Jim my buddy with the 72 cal Double. He says it has never had a problem with the bullets moving forward except when he first purchased it he had a problem getting bullets to fit the bore tight enough. He purchased a mould that was properly sized problem solved. He said it was the most accurate of his 6 doubles. He has a 54,58,72cal SxS, He has a set of the OxU 54 cal. and a 58 cal OxU.
    He also said he tried 58 cal Minie bullets in his first 58 cal; But the bullets moved forward under recoil, they were too loose. He switched to a short Lee bullet bullet and problem solved.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !