Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Guidance

Default Need Guidance

I was raised in Florida so this hardwater fishing is a new experience. I will be returning from Kuwait at the end of October. I have an ice scoop, some jigs and spoons, and a ugly stick pro ice combo. I know there are more things that I will need. I live in Wasilla and I am looking for some close to home places to fish. Any information on places to go and gear that works would be great because I am pretty lost on this subject. I also have the book the Highway angler. Thanks.

Well my wife got me a Quick Fish 3 yesterday and I also have a personal heater. The last big purchase I need is an Auger. Is it a waste of money and time to get a manual auger?

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Well my wife got me a Quick Fish 3 yesterday and I also have a personal heater. The last big purchase I need is an Auger. Is it a waste of money and time to get a manual auger?
    Unless you just want the exercise of hand cranking out a hole? I am sure they make some nice manual augers, however for me I could justify the purchase by how often I go ice fishing, how many holes I put in, how thick the ice gets (3ft?) and how long the ice is out (about 6 months of fishing time).

It cost about $50 to rent a power auger. Do a cost base anayalsis, If your going to only go out a couple times just rent one or find a friend and use their stuff?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Yes and no is the best answer.
    A hand auger with sharp blades works fine until we have about 1'+ of ice Beyond that it becomes a lot of work.
    Some guys have used a drill adapter to hook their hand aegers to an 18V cordless drill. I havent tried them but am certainly guessing they would limit the number of holes you can drill.
    Personally if you can afford a decent power auger new or used you will be much better off. You will find that with the power auger if the fishing is slow you will move to find better fishing.
    With the hand auger you too often sit in one place hoping they show up so you don't have to drill more holes.
    Mobility can be a big factor in finding fish.
    Once you get to know a few lakes it becomes easier to find where they normally are and you drill less holes.
    I fished a hand auger until I had literally stripped the threads out of the handle when I was younger. Then I bought my first power auger and have never looked back.
    Good luck with your fishing!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

So power auger it is. I am looking for somewhere decent to fish in Wasilla. Which lakes are a good starting point or is there any that I should just stay away from all together?

Hopefully Barber will buy all the associated hardware, so all I will have to buy is a pole

Look into a NILS auger made in Finland and sold by Cabelas...I am a die hard gas auger guy and the ice can get very very thick here in South Central, but I wanted something light and very mobile to get into a couple of ski in only places. I heard about this fantastic hand auger and actually one came up for sale so I got it...OMG...that thing is quick ...goes thru 2 foot ice in about a minute and I'm 60 years old! Those Fins know how to make augers.

I will definetly look into that. Where is the best place for me to try my luck for rainbows in the valley area?

Check this out from ADF&G...maps , species, stocking years etc...great resource.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...on&MgtAreaID=2

I like the Kepler Bradley area lakes

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I was raised in Florida so this hardwater fishing is a new experience. I will be returning from Kuwait at the end of October. I have an ice scoop, some jigs and spoons, and a ugly stick pro ice combo. I know there are more things that I will need. I live in Wasilla and I am looking for some close to home places to fish. Any information on places to go and gear that works would be great because I am pretty lost on this subject. I also have the book the Highway angler. Thanks.
    message me when you get back i live on jber. id be glad to help ya out

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    message me when you get back i live on jber. id be glad to help ya out
    I will definetly message you when I get back thank you.

Cottonwood lake, Knik lake, Finger lake, Memory lake, Kepler/Bradly lake, Long lake, Wasilla lake, Lucille lake, Semore(sp?) lake, Matanuska lake, the list is endless; just about every lake in the valley has good fishing, just need to explore! :-)

While I was there until the end of Jan. I never saw anyone on Wasilla or Lucielle Lake. I was gonna try Lucielle because in the Highway angler it mentioned it to be excellent fishing is there a certain area of the lake that is better than others?

Matanuska is good for kids well least for last winter so many 4-8 fish it was unreal. I started going to marion the walk back up the hill sucks not good idea for family but if ur willing to take the 150yds up the steep hill its worth it. Clunie lake on post has some nice char but i was unable to hook one. Sand is by far the easiest walk and had some pretty good fish.

Where is Sand?

Finger lake is full of little dollies you can catch one right after another. If you've got kids that's where I'd take em.
    Justin

It will be myself and a friend looking to put some fish in the freezer to hold us over till spring bear season.

Sand lake is in anchorage. But i wouldnt count on eating those fish they r kinda on the small side but great for kidd

I live about two miles from sand and have never had any problem pulling 12-14 inch rainbows and larger char from it, you just need to know where they hold....message me if you want to go out and try it sometime. PS the base rents the whole ice kit (sled, shelter, heater, auger, poles, dipper, etc.... brand new last year) for $45 from outdoor rec.

The only thing im missing now is an auger but think i will rent that this season. Also is there a certain jig or type of spoon that works best for rainbows and char?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast