Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opti 200 inboard question

Default Opti 200 inboard question

I just pulled the Predator out for the summer and hooked up the hose to fire up the engine. She started fine, but I had no water spitting out so I shut it off. I made sure all was well with the hose and the water was flowing fine, so I tried again and still, no water flowing. Any ideas?

That hose will get filled with silt or mud over a summer. It kind of acts like a low point drain or collector. Try pulling off the hose connection and blowing through it. You might have to disconnect it from the engine to get it cleaned out.

Definitely worth a look, I had the same symptom on my Opti outboard and clearing the hose with a wire and air fixed it.

When you turn on water you should have some kind of water coming out.
    I had same thing happen once and I started pulling water hoses off until I found the blockage. The hose left side facing the motor on the bottom was pack full of slit.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

When you turn the his on you should have water coming out both exhausted and from the pump housing. Follow the flow and make sure each hose is clear. The smaller hoses plug easier, if your flush hose was packed with silt make sure the silt you dislodge doesn't wind up plugging a smaller hose down the flow path. The small hoses that cool the exhaust plug easy and can result in burnt exhaust hoses. Also make sure the hose tba cools the fuel rails and compressor is clear, an overheated compressor can be bad $ .
    Also make sure to only .run at idle on the hose.

I had a similar thing happen where I would get no flow on the flush fitting in the driveway but excellent flow when the pump was submerged in the water and the engine was running. 200 opti. I never was able to find any blockage? Everything was good when pumping so I didn't worry too much about it, right or wrong I don't know.

To those guys who found silt / blockage in their water hoses; do you have some kind of filtration on your incoming water line to the fuel rail? Iíve got one on mine and it collects a LOT of silt. That protects 3 of the 5 water hoses. (Or at least I thought it did)

Of the remaining two,

Iíve got a heater plumbed into the hose dumping water from the expansion chamber back into the adaptor plate. So if my heater gets warm that hose is flowing.

The last hose is the cylinder head water bypass hose. It helps with cooling at idle by dumping water overboard when the engine is idling. So if Iíve got water coming out of that hose at idle itís flowing.

*** The usual disclaimer here, Iím not a mechanic. Just someone trying to understand my engine better ***

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I had a similar thing happen where I would get no flow on the flush fitting in the driveway but excellent flow when the pump was submerged in the water and the engine was running. 200 opti. I never was able to find any blockage? Everything was good when pumping so I didn't worry too much about it, right or wrong I don't know.
    I would worry, but thatís me.

If you look at the diagram, the only real difference between water from the pump, (#1) and water from the flush hose, (#2) is the flush hose. They both dump into the same water jacket pathways. Hopefully the problem is with your flush hose.

In fact looking at it would seem to me if you left the cap off of the flush hose the pump would pump water out the hose and not through the cooling system, (path of least resistance). I wonder if theyíve got some sort of check valve in there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a check valve @ the hose connector, backed up by the plug in the end of the flush hose

It usually takes a lot of gravel pumping to plug the cooling on a sportjet, and is easy to fix when you do, be careful with the plastic hose barbs like the one into the fuel rail , they break easy.

KevinG after finding my flush hose clogged I did install a KEM cyclon style seperator. That think is awsome. It's amazing how much just silt it pulls out, after a day on the copper it's full from just the silt alone. I would recommend one to anyone. I have not had my hose plug off since installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    To those guys who found silt / blockage in their water hoses; do you have some kind of filtration on your incoming water line to the fuel rail? Iíve got one on mine and it collects a LOT of silt. That protects 3 of the 5 water hoses. (Or at least I thought it did)

Of the remaining two,

Iíve got a heater plumbed into the hose dumping water from the expansion chamber back into the adaptor plate. So if my heater gets warm that hose is flowing.

The last hose is the cylinder head water bypass hose. It helps with cooling at idle by dumping water overboard when the engine is idling. So if Iíve got water coming out of that hose at idle itís flowing.

*** The usual disclaimer here, Iím not a mechanic. Just someone trying to understand my engine better ***

Thank you all for the help! I hooked up the hose again tonight ready to dig into it, and she was flowing fine. I fired it up and water was coming out of everywhere including a trickle out of the exhaust outlets. That is normal, correct?

That's normal.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    KevinG after finding my flush hose clogged I did install a KEM cyclon style seperator. That think is awsome. It's amazing how much just silt it pulls out, after a day on the copper it's full from just the silt alone. I would recommend one to anyone. I have not had my hose plug off since installed it.
    Once the Talkeetna gets silty I need to dump mine regularly also.

A mistake I made on my installation was I mounted the filter high in the engine compartment so I could get to it easily. The problem that created was a low spot in the hose between my filter and the motor. I run my boat late in the year and even though Iíd drain the filter at night a couple of times I had an ice plug form in the hose. Iíd have to pull the hose off, break up the ice, and blow it out of the hose to get water flow. I moved the filter low so when I pull the drain plug the lines drain also and have not had that problem since.

Iím thinking about replacing the drain plug with a brass valve and running a hose from the valve overboard and install a push/pull cable from the valve handle to the dash board. That way while underway I could pull the cable, open the valve, and dump the filter contents overboard, (at least thatís the plan!)

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Once the Talkeetna gets silty I need to dump mine regularly also.

A mistake I made on my installation was I mounted the filter high in the engine compartment so I could get to it easily. The problem that created was a low spot in the hose between my filter and the motor. I run my boat late in the year and even though Iíd drain the filter at night a couple of times I had an ice plug form in the hose. Iíd have to pull the hose off, break up the ice, and blow it out of the hose to get water flow. I moved the filter low so when I pull the drain plug the lines drain also and have not had that problem since.

Iím thinking about replacing the drain plug with a brass valve and running a hose from the valve overboard and install a push/pull cable from the valve handle to the dash board. That way while underway I could pull the cable, open the valve, and dump the filter contents overboard, (at least thatís the plan!)

Could either of you post a picture, and/or a link to the separator you used? I am interesed in this, but have no idea what line you need to use to hook it up. Is there a particular line that comes from the pump to supply water to the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by REPO View Post
    Could either of you post a picture, and/or a link to the separator you used? I am interesed in this, but have no idea what line you need to use to hook it up. Is there a particular line that comes from the pump to supply water to the engine?
    I won't be home for another week. If nothing is posted by then I will try and get a few pictures for you.

Here's a picture of mine

KEM Cyclone style
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337152753.164719.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337152774.079864.jpg
    I put mine up high so I can drain it in cold weather

Awesome pictures! Which hose would I splice into for this exactly? I assume that the first picture is the flush port?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast