Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pike gear ? on leaders and flies

Default pike gear ? on leaders and flies

hey guys, should be fishing for pike next week. have been reading on leaders and im going to run a 6 foot section of 20# flouro line but i have read that guys are just running a 12" section of 50# mono instead of steel leader. what have you guys done. would like to run gear that will catch some bigger fish vs a bunch of 18".

also who in town sells some decent mouse patterns and some weedless flies. Ive already tied up some big streamers and bunny leaches. thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Go to Mt View Sports on Old Seward Hwy. They got some pike flies there

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Easiest leaders I know use "knottable" wire for tippet. Tie it to your leader with an Albright knot or back-to-back nail knots. It's really fine, and as easy to work with as mono. You have to use different nippers of course, but I vote for easy.

sportsmans has some pike leaders with a wire tip already built in. they run about 30# test and cost a few bucks i think and RIO makes their toothy critter leader which is similiar but run about 15# test. both are 7.5 ft long. the best place i found for pike flys is actually millersflyshop.com (i think thats the name you might google millers fly shop) they're an outfit out of texas i believe but i was very happy with the flys i ordered from them and they have loads of large flys and mice and the weedless you were looking for. they have a big saltwater selection which works great for pike.

I run 12"-18" of 40# Seaguar flouro for leaders.
    Last spring I fished pike on a fly in trip for a week and only had to retie once!!!
    I caught 7 fish over 40" with the largest 45". Never had a cut off the whole week.
    I only use wire now when fishing dead bait.
    This was my biggest fish of the trip and new personal best plus it was caught on fly.

I agree with Drifter! Seaguar is awesome! I use the 40lb for pike and tarpon!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

So what line are you running before the 40# Seaguar flouro. Also where are you buying it? worldwide angler was the only dealer they showed in AK. thanks guys
    NRA life Member JVJ

I wouldn't bother using anything except wire unless your fish are crazy spooky. They'll cut anything, including 50lb mono. Plus, wire leader is easier to tie. Cortland toothy critter works good. When you're fishing $5-$10 flies, you don't want to risk it!

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    So what line are you running before the 40# Seaguar flouro. Also where are you buying it? worldwide angler was the only dealer they showed in AK. thanks guys
    I buy mine online (usually through Cabelas).
    I usually run a standard 9' 0X (13#) tapered leader between the flouro and fly line.

I agree 100%. Don't know about fluoro, but the pike up here walk through 50# mono!

BTW, those cheap streamer flies you guys use in AK for fishing reds and kings work great on pike, especially the yellow and green ones. What are they, 75 cents each or something like that?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner Ted View Post
    I agree 100%. Don't know about fluoro, but the pike up here walk through 50# mono!

BTW, those cheap streamer flies you guys use in AK for fishing reds and kings work great on pike, especially the yellow and green ones. What are they, 75 cents each or something like that?

Ted
    Ted
    Flouro is 100X stronger than any mono. The stuff is really araision resistant and holds up extremely well (as well as coated wire) to the pikes teeth. As I stated I caught several hundred pike on my spring trip last year and only retied once. I would have had to retie more often with wire.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I would have had to retie more often with wire.
    I'm not doubting your claims for fluoro, but I don't unnerstan this. I've never had to retie wire.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Ted
    Flouro is 100X stronger than any mono. The stuff is really araision resistant and holds up extremely well (as well as coated wire) to the pikes teeth. As I stated I caught several hundred pike on my spring trip last year and only retied once. I would have had to retie more often with wire.

Drifter, I will have to give some a try. The worst part about using coated wire is that it gets so kinked up after only a few fish!

Ted

Don't know where that 100&#37 came from? That is supposed to be a percent sign. Actually corrected it twice, and it showed correctly in the preview.

Thanks for the experience tip on the fluoro!
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm not doubting your claims for fluoro, but I don't unnerstan this. I've never had to retie wire.

It gets terribly kinked up, especially after a few big fish.

Ted

It gets terribly kinked up, especially after a few big fish.

Ted
    Maybe reflecting my fly tying, but my flies are usually so chewed and screwed after a few fish, I'm changing them out anyway.

I have limited experience with catching pike on a fly rod but some. My experience is with casting gear and when it comes to leaders for very finicky, line sensitive pike, in clear water, a high end floro is my go-to. I use floro for tiger musky as well. If the fish aren't line sensitive then use wire if your lure allows for it (40-60# can hinder action a bit). It really just depends on the size and behavior of fish. >10# small lake, 40# trilene pro or seguars is great especially with an appropriate knot. <20# river pike I've had shred 100# braid and 50# steel, which is as sickening as it gets during tournaments. If I want a guarantee, I'll crimp cable with rings (really helps when your throwing 10 oz. swim baits) And personally, I think fishing for walter sized smart pike is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Just my .02

bought a toothy critter leader and a 8 dollar mouse fly today, gonna try to get a pike when im up in willow this weekend. heard there might be some in the side streams in willow creek. Think an 8wt will be enough?

A six weight is enough. Just takes longer.

Ted

A six weight is enough. Just takes longer.

Ted
    Try casting a wind resistant fly the size of a squirrel with a 6wt Ted!!!
    I have some flies I have a hard time throwing on my 9wt!!!

I hear you on that, Drifter, but we usually use those cheapo salmon flies I mentioned in an earlier post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR russian river flies.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	59808

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian River sockeye fly.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	59809

They work, and when those big pike tear them up, it's only 75 cents to tie on another one!

Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast