Thread: New to Forum and New to Alaska, Looking for a good king fishery for my Father

Default New to Forum and New to Alaska, Looking for a good king fishery for my Father

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and new to the State of Alaska. This is my first year up here and it will be my first summer up here. I moved up there to teach High School Math. I love fishing for salmon and my father is coming up for a visit this summer. I would love to try to repay the man that taught me how to fish and everything about the out doors by taking him to a spot to try to hook up with a few nice kings. We will be on the road system for the most since every fly in trip is like 1000 or more. Can anyone recommend a couple good rivers to try. I am not looking to steal anyones spot just looking for some help to repay my father. He will be up here around July 17 till Aug 2. Any help would be great....

I wish my boys would do that for me. Maybe when I get a few years older. What part of the state you going to be teaching math in? That might help to narow things down.

Tony

That's pretty late for most king fisheries, but you should still have a few options. The Kenai's second run will be peaking then, but that will require a guided trip to have a realistic chance of success. That's also the most crowded time of year on that river, so be prepared for something less than a pristine wilderness experience. I think that the Gulkana and Klutina River will still have kings at that point as well, and those two can be fished from shore. The nice thing about that time of year is that you'll also be able to target red salmon from shore, but it's definitely past the prime time for kings in most areas.

Solid advice there, Brian
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Brian's advice is great, but I wouldn't count on the Gulkana. Weak returns the past several years have resulted in restricted and closed fisheries there; this year may be better, but the indications are that it won't. Kenai is definitely the best bet. For kings the best time of year is usually the middle to end of June on the Parks Hwy; but again, check restrictions.

The Klutina might be good in that time frame. There are a few decent campgrounds in Copper Center right on the river.

The Klutina is not a bad option. Couple of years ago the Guide Association got the BOG passed the the river is now open in August to target the larger 2nd run of Kings. Normal year after the 15th is good. Check with the Native Corp for acces to get higher in the system. Can be Kinda Sorta harry getting up towards to the mouth later in the year to acces easier fishing / landing of Kings. The Klutina is a game changer IMO concerning gear i.e. don't expect to handle them with 40 lbs and a Med / Heavy rod plus up to 8o Power Pro and a Heavy action rod current can be a bummer during high water i.e. mid summer from Melt Off it is Glacier Fed.

Welcom to the State.

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    BMR
    www.bluemooseraft.com

The Kasilof might be worth looking at,really good run of kings in July.