Thread: Gulkana River Report-May 11, 2012

Default Gulkana River Report-May 11, 2012

Things are looking up for this summers King run on the Gulkana. I talked with a friend who fishes out of Cordova and they are being kept out of the inner waters but that should change this next wee. His thoughts are that AF&G is trying to make sure that more kings have time to mill around at the mouth of the Copper without being scooped up thus having a larger return making it up into the upper reaches of the Copper River Drainage. I also understand that the Dip netters will be kept out a bit longer for the same reason. Local AF&G folks here in Glennallen are expecting a bigger return than we have seen in the past few years and with the restrictions on commercial and dip netting we should see a good year sport fishing on the Gulkana.

It is all guess work right now and I will keep you posted as we near the 10th or so of June. Remember that the Gulkana is very hard to access because of the private land issues and a raft is about the only way to reach those good holes like Twin Rocks! Look at heading out anytime after June 10th with the run getting up and going as we near June 20th. Lots of good fishing if you have the gear!

Take care and I will see ya on the river!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Walt, I have my own raft. Do you do drop off and if so what do you charge. I am looking for a ride from the bridge to sailors pit.
    Thanks
    Ray

darn, was hoping for a current report on the river...

Thanks for the info Walt. I've had my eye on your website for some time now. I'm hoping that next summer I can take my boys on the Gulkana with your outfit. One question I had about your service, do you have guides for hire?

Thanks.

Rob

Sorry Ray I do not but I would be happy to do it for you as a friend. Give me a call at 907-259-4290

I live at mile 127.5 of the Richardson and Sailor's pit is only a few miles from my place. Let me know when you need the ride and we will not call it a Shuttle!

The river is still at blow out phase so if your headed into the river this early be careful!

We will start putting clients on the river June 10th, see ya all in June!

See ya on the River!
    Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

Rob:

The beauty of the Gulkana is it is an easy and forgiving River that does not require a guide. We do no rentals on most of the other rivers because a mistake on many of the others can cost you your life but the Gulkana is an easy class 1+ river that you can stand up in most spots and the fishing is good to boot!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals

Yepper Walt had to slide my venture South by a week :-( I could have made it but would have a need for a track rig with floats. :-( and a snow plow. I have a feeling if the weather does not change soon in the AK range we might actually have a normal water year. Still was a nice road trip to check it out and see how crappy it was and since the weather is not being kind in the mountains this week I could only assume it is not user friendly this weekend.

Tight lines!

Waiting for that first fishing report!