Thread: Mauser/Interarms X barrel question

Default Mauser/Interarms X barrel question

I have a Mark X in .300 Win mag that I'm going to change to .375 Ruger. I also have a Mauser Brazilian (98?) action whose bolt face has already been opened to magnum size. See where I'm going with this? Can the barrel from the Mark X be easily mounted on the 98 action or would this be a waste of time? Does it need to be re-threaded? Is this easy or hard for a gunsmith to do?
    Thanks in advance!

Piece of cake. It will screw right in and may even headspace (doubtful but maybe you will be lucky). Most likely you will need to have the headspace set by a gunsmith with a lath, reamer and guages. It would be about a $50 charge depending upon how nice you treat the gunsmith. J

I had a Columbian FN Mauser that was originally a 30-06. The barrel was shot so I bought a used 30-06 interarms barrel and had it mounted on the action so I could make a sporter out of it. The only problem I had was that the screw holes for the barrel mounted rear sight ended up at the 5 o'clock position when the thing was properly headspaced. No big deal since it was under the stock and out of sight. I made a lightweight 18 inch barrelled Mannlicher style carbine out of the action.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Why not...?

Why not leave the Mark X alone, and make your South American 98 into the Ruger round? Sounds like at most you'd need to do some work on the rails, but you'd have to do that to make the .300 work in there anyway...something to ponder!

Thanks for the information everybody!

Darreld, the 98 action was drilled and tapped for a scope-badly. The holes are really off center, but I got it cheap. I figured to put a scout scope on it. Having a .375 Ruger Mark X would look nice along my .338-06 and .458 Mark Xs!

Default Got one same-same...

Only mine is a Smith Corona A3, and the receiver is harder'n a wedding night ..... No wonder that the drill walked when the previous owner drilled and tapped it. Oh well! What I did was drill and tap the side of the rear bridge and install a Redfield aperture sight on there with a Lyman 17A front sight, and just filled the scope mount holes with headless screws. Shoots great, is a heckuva lot faster than a scope, and with some care, nearly as accurate on paper.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 04-11-2007 at 04:51. Reason: not good word choice, well, not for a family forum, anyway

Thumbs up Interarms Mark X is a Mauser 98 Action

338-06,

Being a Mauser custom nut that I am, Here's a thought(s):

the Interarms 300mag to rebarrel will be about 175-250.00 to remove and re-install the new barrel + the cost of the barrel. The barrel can go anywhere from 150 to 600.00 depending on the make, model, and options, but realistically the 375 Ruger in a #4 large mag contour is going about 200.00.

Figure on budgeting 400.00 to convert the 300mag to 375 Ruger on your Mark X action

Hogue makes a pillar bedded rubber overmoulded stock for 98 Mausers that is identical to the Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger add 100.00 for that option, 200.00 if you choose aluminium pillar full bedding.

for another 100-150.00 you can have the rifle finished in DuraCoat or the like.

Keep in mind that a New Ruger M77 in 375 Ruger is on the shelf at WalMart of 879.00
    Not that I say just buy another rifle - I use this as a razor when calculating the cost of converting a Mauser to a new caliber. Your Mark X will be a superior rifle to the M77 off the shelf as the gunsmith will acurize the rifle as the barrel is mounted.

Option B:

There is a guy that does great work in GA. Here's his URL: www.bv@1customgunsmith.com

He says he will remove and install an Adams & Bennet barrel in the caliber of your choice for 180.00 complete. He charges 20.00 return shipping and estimates 3 weeks turn-a-round.

Now if he can do caliber 375 Ruger for 180.00 + 20.00 shipping = 200.00 total for a barrel and installation! that's half of what anyone else will do it for...
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great