Thread: Moving to Elmendorf...in Nov?

Default Moving to Elmendorf...in Nov?

All,
    New to the site, have to say there are more categories than all of the previous outdoor forums I been a part of on here.

I am hoping to make a dream a reality by moving to AK in a couple of years, in Nov. Is there a ferry that still runs this time of year from lower 48?

I have a boat (16 1/2 deep V aluminum, w/ prop) is it worth bringing up there? From what I understand I'll be a long way from the fishable rivers? Not sure if it would be worth the hassle if it only got used a few times a year?

If you had to do it all over again, what would be the top (outdoor related) five things you would bring up? ATV, trailer, camper, truck, etc.

How far away would I have to go to do some bird hunting of sorts?
    Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any suggestions.

There is a ferry that typically runs 1 trip/week from Bellingham to SE Alaska. From there, you will have to drive the rest of the way which requires passing through a portion of Canada. I didn't see a ferry option from SE Alaska to any of the other Alaska ports on the road system, but I could have just missed it. Check out the schedules here: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

There are lots of options for fishing in pretty close to town. You can even fish for silvers and kings right in downtown Anchorage, but that can be a bit of a cluster at times. Still fun, but not quite the outdoors type activity. The nice part about Anchorage is that you are within 30-120 minutes of just about everything you could want to do, from small game hunting to big game hunting to fresh and saltwater fishing.

The items you listed would probably be right at the top of the list. They will give you a great means to check out the state and decide from there what means of travel you want to dive deeper into. Personally, I don't use an ATV, but many do. My preference is more along the lines of small boats (canoes, rafts, etc...) and foot travel (sometimes bicycle depending on the area). Although there are some good areas for a boat like yours, many people are going with either a bit smaller (jet boat setup for shallow rivers) or a bit bigger (cabin cruiser type for open saltwater).

The great part about Alaska is there are people who use just about every means of sporting equipment. If you have something and bring it up, but find it isn't what you want to use, you can sell or trade it pretty easily in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is a ferry that typically runs 1 trip/week from Bellingham to SE Alaska. From there, you will have to drive the rest of the way which requires passing through a portion of Canada. I didn't see a ferry option from SE Alaska to any of the other Alaska ports on the road system, but I could have just missed it. Check out the schedules here: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

There are lots of options for fishing in pretty close to town. You can even fish for silvers and kings right in downtown Anchorage, but that can be a bit of a cluster at times. Still fun, but not quite the outdoors type activity. The nice part about Anchorage is that you are within 30-120 minutes of just about everything you could want to do, from small game hunting to big game hunting to fresh and saltwater fishing.

The items you listed would probably be right at the top of the list. They will give you a great means to check out the state and decide from there what means of travel you want to dive deeper into. Personally, I don't use an ATV, but many do. My preference is more along the lines of small boats (canoes, rafts, etc...) and foot travel (sometimes bicycle depending on the area). Although there are some good areas for a boat like yours, many people are going with either a bit smaller (jet boat setup for shallow rivers) or a bit bigger (cabin cruiser type for open saltwater).

The great part about Alaska is there are people who use just about every means of sporting equipment. If you have something and bring it up, but find it isn't what you want to use, you can sell or trade it pretty easily in most cases.
    I believe there still a ferry that crosses the gulf getting you into either Whittier or Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I believe there still a ferry that crosses the gulf getting you into either Whittier or Valdez.
    I see trips on their "cross gulf" schedule to Homer and Whittier through September, but there are no sailings listed on their winter '12-'13 schedule. They could always add something later, but just not listed currently. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/schedule_pdf.shtml

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I looked into taking the ferry when I moved back up here. I was pulling my 17 ft river boat, and for the money they wanted to put my truck and boat on the ferry, I could drive the ALCAN 4 times over! The military would only pay up to a certain length of vehicle (including trailer), and I was over by a couple feet (Dodge Durango + boat trailer) which would have made me responsible for the difference. We wanted to take the ferry just for the experience, but when we saw the price tag, we decided to just have a good time driving the ALCAN...again.

I have a boat (16 1/2 deep V aluminum, w/ prop) is it worth bringing up there? From what I understand I'll be a long way from the fishable rivers? Not sure if it would be worth the hassle if it only got used a few times a year?

What type of engine? The kenai is limited to 4 stroke or modern direct inject 2 stroke and 50hp. That said the Kenai is a zoo. Other rivers will eat props, so it's something to be aware of. That said, there are lakes you can use the boat in. As far as a long way from fishable river, you are likely to recalibrate your idea of what a long way is when you arrive to Alaska. If you can drive there and it's within a couple hundred miles, it's close by. If you can find a good deal in a lightweight canoe, definately bring one up. Plenty of lakes in Anchorage for an evening's fishing, as well as some nice ones within an hour or two drive for fishing and hunting.

If you had to do it all over again, what would be the top (outdoor related) five things you would bring up? ATV, trailer, camper, truck, etc.

$,time,$,time and more $. You can buy anything up here that's available in the lower 48, and prices aren't that much different. Quality clothing and footwear is key, and you'll end up spending alot of $ on getting clothing and footwear that will work in all seasons. Sierra trading post is your friend, especially as they typically have addtional 20-30% off offers every week or two on top of their discount prices. Their shipping is reasonable and they are great about returns.

How far away would I have to go to do some bird hunting of sorts?
    You can actually duck hunt in Anchorage itself on the mudflats but you do need a special permit. More duck hunting heading N and S/. There is ptarmigan hunting throughout the state, but expect to drive a few hours for good hunting, and the game population is cyclical. The more distance you put yourself off the road system the better.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If I'm not mistaken, I think JBER rents all kinds of toys. I know I have seen all white snow machines with USAF numbers on them. That is going to be a big change in weather moving to here from England. I spent 3 years there in the early 60's installing Microwave.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Truck- Everything is spread out here. You need a reliable truck with a big gas tank. I sold my little Toyota and bought a 4 door chevy duramax with an extra tank. Think about a camper or at least a shell on the back. Campers, toy haulers, trailers are cheaper in the lower 48.

ATVs- you can buy in AK but all bulky accessories like tires, rack extensions etc you are better off to buy in the lower 48 and bring with you.

Boats- In AK you need an ocean boat, a river boat with a jet, an airboat, a raft with a small motor, and a light weight canoe. Or just buy the one you can afford and have friends with the others. Bring lots of gas $.

Guns- tons of info on the search function. At minimum you need a 17hmr or 22, a good shotgun, a bear pistol, a long range predator rifle 204, 223, or 22-250. You need a flat shooting light weight mountain rifle 270wsm, 257wby, and you need a bear gun 338, 375 or so.

Gear- You need the best of everything. Binos, tents backpacking and winter, pack frame, merino wool base layers, rain gear etc, etc.

Buy books and start researching now.

#1 Marry a rich woman so you can afford everything.lol

Thanks for the info.

From what I've read, we can take ferry from Bell, WA and make a few transfers and make it to Anchorage in Nov??? I'm waiting to hear back from AMHS.

I'll leave the boat behind. Are ATV's that much more in AK vs. lower 48?

[QUOTE=outdoornut;1120721]Thanks for the info.

From what I've read, we can take ferry from Bell, WA and make a few transfers and make it to Anchorage in Nov??? I'm waiting to hear back from AMHS.
    QUOTE]

From the posted schedules, they don't show anything running from SE Alaska to the road system towns (none go to Anchroage). You have to get to Valdez, Seward, Whittier, or Homer to be able to drive to Anchorage. Nothing is shown as crossing the gulf after September. That just means you might have to drive from Haines or Skagway which can be done in either one very long day or two easy days (weather permitting).