Thread: Transporting your gear to Alaska

Default Transporting your gear to Alaska

I am looking for some advice on transporting some of my gear to Alaska. I have never traveled in a plane with fishing gear. From experiance, would you recommend taking your own gear or buying it out there. I have some stuff that I use here that I could use in Alaska. The other stuff I imaging i'll just have to buy out there. Has anyone done any shipping of there gear lately and what did it cost you?

I also have a center pin rod and reel that will be coming with me no matter what. It's my pride and joy and I have spent alot of money on it. How would you recommend me getting it there safely. Shipping or going on the plane with me???

Any advice would be great!

Oh yea, is there a goodwill or salvation army near Kenai where I can buy some cloths to get smelly and bloody, lol. Then I could fill my other bag with just fishing gear.

I would say bring the fishing gear. I used to buy when I got somewhere, but ended up wishing I had my "good" gear. Also should'nt be to hard to check it in.

The "good" rod and reel you mentioned. I take mine (2 piece and not to long to fit in an overhead bin) as carry-on. I just tape it together, tape up the reel. I've had one time where it was to long for the bin, and the stewardess was nice enough to put in the area for carry ons that are to big up near first class. Easy.

If you ship your rod up in a rod tube, be sure it is wrapped in a cloth first, baggage handlers done care. I have allways "Hand carried" my rod's onto flight's. I just rubber banded the pieces together and they put it in the captains closet, never had a problem. Plenty of thrift stores for cheap cloths. As far as a shipping cost, not sure. Check out UPS.COM FEDEX.COM USPS.COM I'm sure you can get rates from them.

Good Luck!

As a general rule I prefer to avoid checking in baggage on flights, as the risk of having it damage, lost, stolen or delayed is just not worth it. Travel with carry on only and spend the time and frustration saved for fishing.

If you ship anything make sure you insure it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Last year I mailed all my rods up to where I was going ahead of time. I put together a PVC Tube with a screw top. Put the rods in a cloth sheath so they wouldn't get banged up. And insured them. They made it up fine and were waiting for me before I even got there. The PVC tube kept them from being broken and you can make it for around $10-15 bucks.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

I pretty much fly everywhere with some kinda fishing or skiing gear I can normally fit everything I need in a ski bag and a large backpack.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Airline angler...

Two checked bags @ 50 Lb.s each and 2 carry ons. That's all you get without penalties.

Bags: soft-sided; 1 is a rolling duffle bag and the other is a rolling cargo bag. The duffle gets your clothing and the cargo gets your cooler and waders.

Carry ons: 1 is a rolling suitcase the other is a backpack. The suitcase contains the heavy stuff and is generally never weighed. The backpack contains all your precious stuff including a complete change of clothing.

Bring your rods aboard, broken down and taped together. Wear your bulky jacket to save space in packing.

I have traveled this way for the last 20 years and over a half million air miles with no problems...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Another sidenote:

Some airlines will make allowances for baggage size (ie: skis, fishing gear, etc.) when flying to sporting-type locations. This was listed on my flight 2 years ago to Alaska. Sorry to say, when I got to the luggage check-in at DFW, the moron checking in luggage wanted a credit card to swipe to charge me for the extra size of my gear. I told him that I'd read the airlines allowances for bigger baggage going to Alaska, blah blah blah. He said so what, I wasn't getting by without swiping a card. Getting pissed didn't help, there was about 20 people waiting behind me to check their stuff as well.....

Anyway, might look into it. Maybe you'll be more lucky than me. I'm shipping my stuff this year, to heck with the airline idiots.