Thread: Video Camera Advice

Default Video Camera Advice

I'm looking for some info / suggestions for a video camera . I will be using it on a float trip this fall, Something that will stand up to water, good zoom, battery life and easy to operate. Looking at spending upto 500.00.

I use a canon vixia HFr 200. Not waterproof but have used it in the rain. The zoom and battery life are pretty good. They have one that is one step up. I think it is the 300 or 350. I got mine at Costco for less than 300. It uses SD cards so it is really easy to put onto a computer.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

got one of these after seeing the research that my good friend 6XLeech did on our bear hunt. I've used it on my float and it's great.
    http://us.sanyo.com/Dual-Cameras/VPC...ual-Range-Zoom
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I just bought some gear to video some hunts and stuff around the house. I decided to get a sony hdr cx160. This is a really small camera that does HD. I wanted one that had threads at the end of the lens for attaching filters, etc. Then I got a "scope" adapter.

Really cool set up. I spent quite a bit of time on eBay trying to find a good deal. Came really close on quite a few, but they were going for a tiny bit more than I wanted to pay. Eventually I walked into Best Buy in Anchorage and they just happened to have the exact camera I wanted on clearance. I got the display model which didn't have much to go with it for under $200. Then I got on eBay and got the needed cords, batteries, etc for less than $100.

The only thing something like this needs before it's ready for a float hunt is a waterproof case to store it in.

Good luck!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I have a GoPro HD2... 2 inches square and weighs almost nothing...It is waterproof, pretty much shock proof and High Def, with lots of attachments to mount on interesting places...Practice before you go out on the trip...We also use a small olympus 1030w waterproof and shockproof camera...it will also do short video...Has been very reliable for the last 5 years and will fit inside a shirt pocket...good luck

Check out a Kodak PlaySport...best little video/camera I've owned for hunting and fishing. Waterproof to 10 feet...can even use it under water. I think it cost me $150. It also has a wide angle and zoom lens for another $25. About the size of a smartphone. It's a recreational package, but works great for me.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Second the playsport... Extra batteries can be found for $5 online.. Here is an underwater video using my playsport from American Creek...

Nikon AW100... has a filter adapter than can hook up to spotting scopes. Shock proof, water proof, freeze resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
    Second the playsport... Extra batteries can be found for $5 online.. Here is an underwater video using my playsport from American Creek...
    Good idea on the extra batteries...will have to pick some up! The vidcam is rechargeable...it lasts about 2 hours or so. GOod, but not enough for multi-day trips.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"