Thread: Steel and Chrome

Default Steel and Chrome

Weather has been decent for a few days, boys are doing well on fish. Thought I would share a nice steelhead one of my Anchorage fellas got and my wife and buddy with a few kings. Kings just really got here a few days ago shaping up nicely for another great year! Joel - hear you guys are rockin too. Weather will be CRAP tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Nice fish!

VERY nice!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Very nice.. It's going to be one of those years. I caught these two yesterday right in front of town. Yeah, tomorrow and Sat aren't fishing days! I think this year will be better than last year. And last year was really good.

Great looking fish! Thanks for posting the pics. Both of you.

Mike when are there going to be some pics on the addition and the new boat??

That steelie is a hog
    Great fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Very nice.. It's going to be one of those years. I caught these two yesterday right in front of town. Yeah, tomorrow and Sat aren't fishing days! I think this year will be better than last year. And last year was really good.

270 that is my favorite skinning knife, are you using it for a fillet knife ??

Yes. It's the best fillet knife (in my opinion) for filleting those kings. (or any other salmon for that matter) Perfect, smooth fillets every single time. A few minutes on the Edge Pro, and I can fillet a trolled dressed king in 30 or so seconds. Cohos a bit faster.

Yes. It's the best fillet knife (in my opinion) for filleting those kings. (or any other salmon for that matter) Perfect, smooth fillets every single time. A few minutes on the Edge Pro, and I can fillet a trolled dressed king in 30 or so seconds. Cohos a bit faster.
    Nice kings!

Is that a Cutco knife?

It's a Dexter Russel. Not sure what model number. It's 17 1/2" over all length. The blade is exactly 12" long. Comes in handy for those wider kings. They make a thick blade too that has some flutes on it.. no good. You want the thinner blade.

This weather the next two days sucks. Our derby here in Wrangell starts tomorrow. May have to fish in the harbor.

This should be the one:

http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Detai...id=663&line=SS

Apparently it'll double as a roast slicer too. (grin)

Sunday it'll be fishing for me. Both before and after church. I'm going shallow this year. Those two kings were caught trolling 20ft, in 30ft of water. 11" Flash/o39r Hoochie. I'm thinking of getting some bigger/darker hoochies and trolling some really shallow kelp beds at last light. I want some big kings.

This should be the one:

http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Detai...id=663&line=SS

Apparently it'll double as a roast slicer too. (grin)
    Excellent. Thanks 270ti. If you get into the BIG kings like you are talking about, you could consider those fillets as roasts. Best of luck to ya!

Nice fosh 270! Back fin is missin were you on your HT boat? Side note what's a o39r hoochie if ya don't mind? Those were caught on a fly and a whole herring. WAY to crappy the last few days but Sunday is looking up here too.

Alaska nap - I did a drag coming back from wrangell a week ago at sunrise, lots of bait and two follows but no takers. Spent 1/2 hour there. Good luck in the derby!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

good eye.. yep, on my HT skiff, so all top fins come off when sport fishing. o39r is my favorite hoochie. I try others, but always come back to that one. It just fishes well off my boat.

I just finished beefing up my gear. Put 1/16 trolling wire on my downriggers, (freaking wussy cable kept breaking with my 12lb balls) 50lb test as my main line, and will use 100lb for my leader. Now I need a big king.

still good this morning...

the kids had a blast

love the variegated

Very nice. That steelhead is a hog.

This thread sums up pretty well why I want to move to Southeast.....