Thread: Bino's Power Suggestion

Default Bino's Power Suggestion

Ok here is my delima I have been thinking of replacing my current bino's with a upgraded pair. Either swaro's or lieca's. I am getting into sheep and goat hunting for the most part and already have a swaro spotting scope.

Here is the question keeping in mind the spotting scope what power binos would you suggest? 8x32 10x32 or 10x42 like a few of my buddies keep suggesting?

Thanks

For sheep and goat I'd go 8x32.

10x42 is best all around

Specifically paired with a good spotter for sheep and goat hunting the 8x32s.

For all around use the 10x42s are a little more versatile.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ditto:

I have the Leica 10x42's and love them.

10x42's Some weight is worth carrying!

Depends on where you are going to be hunting. If you are going to stay in open country buy the 10x. If you will hunt under a canopy cover you will need the light gathering properties of the 8x. I went with the 8x and have not looked back. They are heavy enough for extended glassing but light enough to carry all day without neck strain. Jim

I'd say 8x if you have your spotting scope along (assuming a significant difference in size and weight). What's the difference in size/weight? If it's not significant I would go 10x for more versatility the rest of the time. I actually wish they made more decent monoculars (that would save significantly on size and weight). Like this but with a bigger objective (3.1 ounces for 10x):
    http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5...25754E00511E01
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Spotting scope and bino are different tools, so I wouldn't let the spotting scope sway my decision in which way to go on binos.

I've yet to read a convincing reason of why one should compromise from a pair of 10X42's, so they get my vote.

No reason for neck strain

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

10x42's. Never once regretted buying them.

Did buy a set of 12 power once, HUGE mistake. Quickly sold them at a loss.
    My son loves his 8x32's as much as I love the 10x42s. His are lighter and easier to hold.

Blondes or red heads?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Specifically paired with a good spotter for sheep and goat hunting the 8x32s.

For all around use the 10x42s are a little more versatile.

I go with this

Well I have a bad/lazy eye, so binoculars don't do anything for me that a monocular can't do better (assuming equal optics and objective dia, coatings etc...). So far I like the Leica 8x20 Monovid.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Tough to make a case that a top shelf 10X42 isn't the best all around choice--I'll not be parting with my Zeiss Victory 10X42 anytime soon......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

personally I like the higher power like 10x42 especially for sheep. Big rams dont always just sit out on the side of the mountain and say hey look at me here I am. Some of the biggest rams I have taken I could only see bits and pieces of them high up in the rocks looking over the valley floor, with out good glass and higher power I may miss out on seeing those and risk walking up the valley and spooking them out. I'll risk the extra few ounces for bigger binos when it comes to helping in my success..

I would go with the 10x42's without a doubt as comfortable glassing on my eyes is more important than saving a few ounces (in my case). With a good harness system, it will be an effective all around setup.

I actually like 10x50's and just bought some 12x50's Swaro EL's to try out this year as they were the same weight and size. Will see how that goes on my sheep hunt in August. Might be a mistake or might be okay, dont know unless you try! I do lots of open country hunting every year and hours and hours of glassing, so I'll always have a use for them.

I agree with the 10x42 suggestions. I currently use 8x42 Leupolds, and they have served me well. I bought the 8 vice the 10 to get the 5.2mm exit pupil beam of light that is better than the 4.2mm the 10 power bino provides. I'm a stones throw from being 50 now, and that means the max amount of light my eyes can use is probably around 5mm. However, younger folks have eyes that may be able to use 6mm of light in low light conditions.

I don't know how this impacts you (don't know your age), but depending on your typical hunt conditions and age, light transmission to your eye may be more (or less) important.

I've only been sheep hunting once, and I would have liked the additional power in a 10x42 over my 8x42 binocs. However, I didn't feel handicapped with my 8x42 when comparing my bino's performance to the binos carried by my brothers on that hunt.

I have Swarovskis and I put my 10x32 EL up against 10x42SLC and there is no difference at low light. Carrying around a pair of 10x42 roof prism binos is extra energy when you can have a pair of 10x32 straight tubes that are lighter and slightly better in low light. I used to think 10x42's were the only way to go until I compared them with the 10x32 EL's. No-brainer to me, but that is just my opinion. Good luck.