Thread: Svendsen Marine boats...

Question Svendsen Marine boats...

I live in Wasilla, and every day I drive by a nice little skiff that just looks awesome. It is very simple, but looks like it has a great hull design that would cut waves at the bow, but still go shallow with a flat bottom. The one I drive by has an open, center console which I really like. The manufacturer is Svendsen Boats out of Wrangell, AK. Anyone have any experience with these boats, and how do they perform on the rivers? I'd love to put a 100 hp jet on one and have it be my river runner. Here is their website---http://www.svendsenmarine.com/skiffs

AZinAK

When I lived in Wrangell, my place was a block from his shop on Case Ave. I had a 16 foot skiff he made and it was a great little boat. The kids and put a lot of miles on that skiff, up the Stikene river all the way up to Telegraph Creek BC. down to Ketchican, up to Petersburg and everywhere in between. Caught some salmon and halibut out of it, had a few bears and deer in it too. Man I miss SE.

Okay, usually I just read the forums, but I have to say something about Dave Svendsen and the boats he builds. I have known Svendsen for the last 10 years. Each year he has done numerous projects for me on my last boat and present boat. He is again doing more work now. Dave and his shop do absolutely amazing work, any size boat and any type of work you might want done. Dave grew up in a boat yard where I understand his dad was one of the best shipwrights in Seattle. Simply said, Dave understands boat design and building with the best in the business. The quality of his execution is near perfection. Each and every one of his men in the shop can handle any and all phases of work they are given.

Very solid boats. If I were to have a boat built, I'd use them.

I ran a 22 foot Svendsen river boat with air chamber beneath the floor and had a tunnel. Installed a Yamaha 175 hp with prop/jet and CMC lift. Very versitile, safe solid boat. Used it on the Copper, Big Su, Yukon and then spent more time in PWS with it than on the rivers so I upgraded to a 27' fiberglass. Loved that boat!!

Spent the day up the Stikine yesterday. On our way to the hot tubs we spent 15 minutes trudging through the snow and mud by foot only to find two larger Svendsens in a hole by the 'steps.' In the tubs were probably...15 people...between the two svendsens and a smaller alumacraft. All outboard jets. Pretty ****ed amazing what those boats can do. The hole they had to get out of was probably about 1.5 boat lengths long, 18 - 24" deep then immediately went to about 4" of water. Small open sleds do it all the time but to see the bigger boats in there. I cant even think about doing that with my motion marine sportjet. Those boats are pretty ****ed bullet proof and its crazy what they can do.