Thread: Electric fillet knife

Default Electric fillet knife

What is your favorite electric fillet knife? I doubt I would use one for halibut or rockfish, but I would like to try one for salmon. Especially if I have large amounts of reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    What is your favorite electric fillet knife? I doubt I would use one for halibut or rockfish, but I would like to try one for salmon. Especially if I have large amounts of reds.
    Don't take this as argumentative, please, but why do you use an electric fillet knife? I have never used one and I'm just curious.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Dip netter filleting 55 salmon, you would probably wish you had a electric also
    I was thinking on getting the Rapala one.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Dip netter filleting 55 salmon, you would probably wish you had a electric also
    I was thinking on getting the Rapala one.
    Interesting. I'd love to try one some time. I just tend to mistrust something electrical like that because they always seem to have a habit of breaking down, or the batteries dying on you, at the most inconvenient time. Just curious, but don't they get dull? If so, how do you go about sharpening them?

I use the Rapala deluxe electric knife. Itís got adapters so you can clip it to a battery, run it from a cigarette outlet, or plug it into AC.

I got it for dip netting. I usually gill the fish as I get them and wait until Iíve got a dozen or so fish then fillet with the Rapala. No need to clip tails, sharpen knife, etc. Just zip right through them, through the fillets into a cooler and the carcasses into the river.

http://www.rapala.com/PGEF1/PGEF1,de...nives-electric

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I use the Rapala deluxe electric knife. Itís got adapters so you can clip it to a battery, run it from a cigarette outlet, or plug it into AC.

I got it for dip netting. I usually gill the fish as I get them and wait until Iíve got a dozen or so fish then fillet with the Rapala. No need to clip tails, sharpen knife, etc. Just zip right through them, through the fillets into a cooler and the carcasses into the river.

So, does it ever get dull? And if so how do you sharpen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Don't take this as argumentative, please, but why do you use an electric fillet knife? I have never used one and I'm just curious.

I've never used one either, but I've heard that they are the ticket for large amounts of salmon. From what I understand from the "Alaska Outdoor Journal" forum, they suggest filleting the backbone out, then remove ribs with a regular thin flexible blade fillet knife.

I would imagine that any knife place could sharpen them, Northern Knives here is Anchorage. I do have one for carving prime rib, and I sharpen it like any scalloped knice (like a bread knife)

Last edited by Alaskanmutt; 05-10-2012 at 17:13. Reason: Freakin Dsylexia
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post

Thanks for the link. Not a bad price either. I think after a little more research of different models, and anymore suggestions on here, I'll have to get one.

I've had it for 5 or so years now. Still seems to be going strong.

It has two blades and they slide back and forth against each other making the serrated edges work like a bunch of little scissors, (hope that made sense). I would guess youíd need to sharpen them as often as you do scissors. (But now youíve got me thinking about it!)

Yeah, I'm pretty well familiar with how they work, I guess I was just wondering if you can separate the blades so you CAN sharpen them. I have one of the Cabela's Sportsman knife sharpeners and it will put almost a razor sharp edge on my fillet knives. But it sounds to me as though you can separate them. I sure would like to try one if I was thinking of shelling out the money for one. I guess the only drawback I'd see is I have different fillet knives that have different amounts of flex to them and I find some knives work better for bigger halibut than they do for say a small (relatively speaking) salmon. If you're working through a dip net day of reds it could be a real bonus, but when you have a few different species of fish to clean like when I come in from a charter it's nice having the different sort of knives to use. Sure is worth some pondering, though. Thanks all for the info.

Had one, it is in the Homer landfill now!

Quit using mine about 20 years ago.

The can be sharpened by keeping the blades together. Line up the tips and they can be pulled through "crock sticks" to realign the blade tips. You actually sharpen them more like sissors only on the outside. It doesn't take much. For salmon, my forschner breaker knife goes through faster than the electric I tried once.

I agree for one or two fish I wouldn't, (and don't) bother with the electric. I can have a few fish done by the time I've got the electric out and set up. In fact the only time I pull it out is when I go dipping.

But then I'm the kind of guy who takes a battery operated sawzall with me moose hunting.

I have used one for many years dipping, just plug it into cigarette lighter and go to town. Also works great for rock fish. Nice smooth fillets and works well to remove rib bones. Most folks can fillet just as fast or faster with regular knife and as Mutt said different fish requre different knives...I don't think the electric would work well on halibut. You can also buy replacement blades for them and the two blades separate. haven't tried to sharpen the serrated blades.