Thread: Fire extinguisher?

Default Fire extinguisher?

So I have tried the search feature and not found an answer so here goes.
    I am looking for a good brand of fire extinguisher for my 23' Bayliner. I have had 2 Kidde fire extinguishers and although they were fine I ended up breaking the mounts on them. I replaced the first one the previous owner had installed when the cheap plastic mount broke and eventually after a couple of years the mount on the new one broke.
    The extinguishers are fine and I still carry them.
    Usually the mount breaks from people bumping into them while doing stuff on deck like fighting a fish or cleaning up the boat and doing maintenance.
    I like where it is mounted for ease of access and whatnot so I really don't want to move it.
    I would like to find one with a metal quick release mounting bracket. Any ideas for a small extinguisher that comes with some sort of decent mounting bracket other than a cheapo plastic one?
    Thanks.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Check fire and fastners in anchorage they should have something your looking for .
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Google Kenai Fire protection equipment supplies

It shows lots of places in the Kenai arwea that should carry steel mounts. They probably have them to fit your Kiddes also
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Amerex makes the bracket your looking for. And they make a top notch extinguisher to mount in it too. Kidde...well, not so much.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The fire extinguisher on my deck used to have a metal bracket, but it kept rusting. So I got a kind of extinguisher that has a plastic bracket. Just have to be careful to not whack it.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Amerex makes the bracket your looking for. And they make a top notch extinguisher to mount in it too. Kidde...well, not so much.
    Exactly the advice that I was looking for. I will check them out.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    The fire extinguisher on my deck used to have a metal bracket, but it kept rusting. So I got a kind of extinguisher that has a plastic bracket. Just have to be careful to not whack it.
    I had not considered the rust issue. Maybe I can find one that is made from Aluminum or has a rust preventing coating designed for marine use?
    It wasn't like the plastic bracket failed from one good bump but after several times it would get weak and the plastic start to come unlatched more often on the one. The other broke completly but I am sure like the other one got bumped many times while I was servicing the boat or scrubbing the decks etc. besides the motion of the ocean and the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I had not considered the rust issue. Maybe I can find one that is made from Aluminum or has a rust preventing coating designed for marine use?
    It wasn't like the plastic bracket failed from one good bump but after several times it would get weak and the plastic start to come unlatched more often on the one. The other broke completly but I am sure like the other one got bumped many times while I was servicing the boat or scrubbing the decks etc. besides the motion of the ocean and the boat.
    Maybe you could even find a bracket made of stainless steel Chris.
    I know there has to be some made from it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Maybe you could even find a bracket made of stainless steel Chris.
    I know there has to be some made from it somewhere.
    Yeah I thougtht of that also. I figured maybe somone on here had purchased somehing like this locally or in Anchorage that they had good luck with and I could just pick one up.
    I wonder if the Gearshed in Homer would stock something like this for smaller boats? I know they stock all kinds of commercial boat stuff. Guess I could call down there.
    I did google the Amerex and there is a place in Kenai that sells their stuff so I will have to check that out. They look beefy (maybe too much) and claim they passed the UL salt spray test on their powder coated steel mount.

Chris your a handy guy just make some brackets. Maybe some UHMW and stainless strapping??? or how about UHMW and some high quality bungee cord ? would probably outlast those cheap metal mounts

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Chris your a handy guy just make some brackets. Maybe some UHMW and stainless strapping??? or how about UHMW and some high quality bungee cord ? would probably outlast those cheap metal mounts
    I can get the stainless strapping from work but working out the latch mechanism could be tricky. We normally use the stuff in a permanent type application and I would like it to be readily accessible.
    I do know some world class welders and machinists who can do stainless but I am not sure if the bosses would write me an exit pass to get such a fancy mount as they would make home from the slope.
    I was hoping to find a local source of a non plastic mount that will withstand the marine enviroment. Something other people on here have used and approved. I will be checking around when I get home and see what I can find locally. Or replace the broken plastic strap with something better.

I dont know if you mount your FE vertically or horizontal? If you mount vertically, how about a piece of ABS, most likely 3" would work, cap on the bottom and either attach with a couple of SS clamps screwed to a flat surface..............or drill a couple holes in the front and screw it on. You could tastefully cut out the front so its obvoius at to what is inside or put a sticker on the front.

Maybe you could find some white PVC that would look better, saw one today mounted to a truck rack in this fashion and remembered this thread...............I have NOT followed this thread so maybe someone already mentioned this idea..............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR