Thread: Another bullet ??? 450 Marlin handgun for brownies

Default Another bullet ??? 450 Marlin handgun for brownies

I have an Encore handgun in 450 Marlin & intend to use it on brown bear & moose this year.
    I have some hardcast 365s I was figuring on using, but so far they aren't shooting as accurately as I would like.
    Any recomendations for a jacketed bullet? Thinking of the 350 Hor. flat nose. Should run about 1850-1900 fps, maybe a bit more.
    Any experience or suggestions for this or other bullets?
    Thanks
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The Speer Hot Core 350 grain semi spitzer flat nose is a very good bullet. Very tough, as it is made for 458 velocities. It can be driven to about 2150 fps in 22" of barrel with RL-7 and will stay together well. It will not work through the lever guns but with your S/S it will be good. Seat to the cannelure which leaves too much nose out for the lever guns but lots of room for powder. I've used this and seen it used with the 458 for some pretty tough critters, it does the job and it ie very inexpensive compared to all the premium stuff.

What cast bullet are you trying?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy.
    Will the Speer open up at say 45-70 impact velocities? With a muzzle velocity of approx 1900 fps is it going to have any expansion @ 150 yds?(Don't want too much mind you)
    The cast are by "Performance Cast" (not "Cast Performance").
    I may be having scope problems (Brand new Bushnell Trophy 2-6 so I would hope not) & will try changing the scope out with the cast & see if that helps too.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

How's leading with the cast bullets? That would explain bad accuracy if those bullets do lead.

I believe the speer will open up down to around 1600 fps, certainly down to 1800 fps.

A friend used a 400 gr swift a-frame in his 45-70 contender handgun on a brown bear, and he was not happy with the performance, it sounds like it acted like a solid, though unfortunately he was never able to confirm what happened.

Nothing wrong with using a bullet that performs like a solid if you expect that type of performance, but not so good when you expect and need expansion.

405 Remington ????????????????????????

Thanks guys.
    Leading wasn't bad Beer30. Need to clean reguraly, but they are a hardcast with GC.
    I'll do some checking with Speer for exact #s Paul.

Bighorn, have you any experience with this bullet in this kind of application?
    Vance in AK.

I think the Remington is a very under rated bullet. For a dirt cheap 45 cal. bullet they are plenty tough. I have used them up to 1900 fps in a 45-70 and at 2250 in a 458. I have shot a load of pigs with the 458 load, some right at the muzzle and it hangs together and will usually rip right thru with seemingly plenty of expansion. I have shot them out of a Sharps at about 12-1300 fps and at 300 yds they seem to expand alittle when dug out of the sand.

Talking

Vance I have taken a bear with my encore with a bullbeary barrel in 45-70 with a 350 gr hornady roundnose and it droped the bear in its tracks.the shot was from the rear and the bullet entered at the spine just behind the shoulder and stoped under the skin below the chin.the bullet expanded about a little larger than a nickel and made a wound chanel you could run your fist through.PM me somtime I have a number of pistol and rifle barrels and would be willing to help any way I can. Paul