Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning A-Bolt,Yes or No ?

Default Browning A-Bolt,Yes or No ?

I have a chance to acquire a Browning SS "Alaskan" 375 H&H about ten years old but LNIB.After reading on several sites about these,the info/opinions posted were the triggers were lousy,misfires are common,etc.One common complaint that had me laughing was "The gun is too light",LMAO !!

Having never owned or even fired a Browning A Bolt,are these rifles worth a **** as a serious hunting gun ? And,are there any upgrades that make it a reliable hunting gun ?

They are great guns. Never had any trouble what-so-ever with the issues you described.
    BK

Agree with bkmail. Only negative is that it is push feed and some folks prefer a CRF for dangerous game. The trigger on my 2007 A-bolt 325WSM adjusts with an allen wrench and isn't bad for a factory piece. The 60* bolt throw is sweet! I also like the tang safety (it's where safeties belong) and the box mag mounted to the floorplate. I put a limbsaver direct fit pad on mine and the 325 is pretty comfortable to shoot. If you are recoil sensitive then the 375 may be pretty stiff on the shoulder. The A-Bolt isn't really an ultralight gun but it is far from heavy.

I own 3 A-Bolts and have never had a problem with any of them.

I had the Alaskan in 375H&H and 338 winmag when they first came out and both were fine guns with limited production
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I had the Alaskan in 375H&H and 338 winmag when they first came out and both were fine guns with limited production
    The one I'm looking at is the limited production Alaskan,guy bought it new 10yrs or so ago and never used it.Seems like the 60* bolt throw might be nice esp. with optics,tang safety is a big plus,as is the 7lbs or so weight.Rather trade a bit more recoil for a little less weight.

Thanks for the input.

Own two of them a 25-06 great gun still shooting fine after 15 yr`s and a 375 h&h got it with the boss that didn`t
    last long had it cut down to 20" both lh and would /will buy another

The trigger is easy to adjust and will lighten with a simple spring replacement if you're not satisfied.

This is what I did with mine: washersmall.jpg
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Made with some of the best QC in the industry.

I believe it was 93 or 94 they made them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My response to any question in the format 'Should I buy (any type of gun)?'.....YES.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I've owned or procurred for others at least 20 Browning ABolts in various calibers, nearly all stalkers or stainless stalkers - I have never, ever heard of any misfires or such nonsense - they have all been shooters and I wholeheartedly agree with the tang safety - A nice feature of the magazine / floorplate system is that you can remain in battery while reloading the mag (although don't shoot with the floorplate open) triggers easily adjustable and still remain safe - made at the legendary Miroku plant in Japan where one heck of alot of other long guns are, or have been made, great QC - limbsaver pad highly recommended - NIB the firing pin/spring are is greased, that should be cleaned out

All the A Bolts I've messed with were fine and although I've talked to several people with a grudge against them...most cannot seem to identify the exact issue. I've not encountered one with any of the issues you describe but they follow the general pattern of non specific complaint.

If the rifle fits you, I'd say get it and start shooting.

Wildalaska makes a good point...Browning/Miroku QC and machine technology is state of the art. The Japanese firearm industry isn''t huge but they do know what they're doing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Wildalaska makes a good point...Browning/Miroku QC and machine technology is state of the art. The Japanese firearm industry isn''t huge but they do know what they're doing.

The ironic thing is that most of the Japanese hunters I have met shoot Sakos, Mausers or Remingtons (we get several a year in the shop as tourists and I have sold some rifles for export to Japan). They have great hunting over there as I am told.

with not so much as a fleeting second thought I would choose a Browning ABolt over a Remington bolt action of any model - (I think I read somewhere that one of the 2 guys who "invented" the ABolt was the co-designer of the Rem 700) ABolts are darn good rifles

I have 2 and not a problem ever and both are excellent shooters! I have dumped a load of ammo once or twice while packing them through brush as the button to open the floor-plate is a bit easy to activate... Not sure if its different on the Alaskan model???
    I always figure if I buy a gun I don't like I can sell or trade it later.... I have found few I didn't like though!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey - for the life of me I cannot figure how you managed to do that ! as I have stated, I have carried ABolts for many, many miles on many hunts in all sorts of terrain and conditions without what you described happening - I have often thought that the hinge end of the drop plate "could" give it up to a crack but after owning too many ABolts to recollect I can't remember one that had an "easy to release" button and even if that had happened the rounds don't come out of the mag box all that easily - I ALL honesty, I would have been THOUSANDS ahead if I had been more trusting on the ABolts I've owned (and probably happier, certainly as happy)

Trigger group is prone to corrosion . Just happened on a Kodiak Br Bear hunt on a friends boat 3rd hand knowledge. Keep hearing same thing so there must be some truth about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Trigger group is prone to corrosion ... on a friends boat. Keep hearing same thing so there must be some truth about it.
    Not to be disagreeable but rusting steel on a salt water boat is not exactly uncommon regardless of maker or, to a lesser degree, material used. I've seen a well made stainless gun come off a boat in pretty rough shape.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Trigger group is prone to corrosion . Just happened on a Kodiak Br Bear hunt on a friends boat 3rd hand knowledge. Keep hearing same thing so there must be some truth about it.

Well as the Browning service center, we dont see that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast