I've talked to a few hunters about using Scent Lures and they ask if a Baiting Permit is required, IT IS! Scent lures are not bait but when used for black bears you still need to get a permit.
5 AAC 92.044. Permit for hunting black bear with the use of bait or scent lures.
(a) A person may not establish a black bear bait station to hunt black bear with the use of bait or scent lures without first obtaining a permit from the department under this section.
(b) A permit issued under this section is subject to the following provisions:
(1) a person may establish a black bear bait station only if that persons obtains a permit under this section;
(2) in Units 6(D), 7, 14(A), 14(B), 15, 16(A), and 20(B), a person must complete a bear hunter clinic given by the department before that person may obtain a permit from the department under this section;
(3) a person must be at least 16 years of age to be issued a permit;
(4) a person may not have more than two bait stations established with bait present at any one time;
(5) a person may not use bait or scent lures within
(A) one-quarter mile of a publicly maintained road, trail, or the Alaska Railroad;
(B) one mile of a house or other permanent dwelling; or
(C) one mile of a developed campground or developed recreational facility;
(6) a person may not give or receive remuneration for the use of a bait station, including barter or exchange of goods; however, this paragraph does not apply to a licensed guide-outfitter who personally accompanies a client at the bait station site;
(7) a person using bait or scent lures shall clearly identify the site with a sign reading "black bear bait station" that also displays the person's hunting license number, and the permit number;
(8) only biodegradable materials may be used as bait; if fish or game is used as bait, only the head, bones, viscera, or skin of legally harvested fish and game may be used, except that in Units 7 and 15, fish or fish parts may not be used as bait;
(9) in areas where the bag limit is greater than one bear, the department my limit the number of bears taken over bait as condition of the permit;
(10) a permittee must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed. Scent lures can be used for ungulates.