Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Black Rockfish around Seldovia

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default Black Rockfish around Seldovia

    I hear of a lot of people catching black rockfish like gangbusters but i have never been able to find them. We hit the kelp around pogibishi and near Seldovia and never got any. Any pointers anyone can give me? I am NOT asking for your spots just some tips on fishing them as i love eating them!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I hear of a lot of people catching black rockfish like gangbusters but i have never been able to find them. We hit the kelp around pogibishi and near Seldovia and never got any. Any pointers anyone can give me? I am NOT asking for your spots just some tips on fishing them as i love eating them!
    I have found that you really have to just find the right spot for decent black rockfish and a hundred feet or so one direction or the other can make all the difference in the world. I have a couple of favorite spots marked on my GPS between Seldovia and Pogi that have produced for me pretty well in years passed, but even they can be spotty at times. Here's a pic of what I got there (the rockfish, not the butt) once on a charter:

    catch_of_the_day2.jpg

    I can't really tell you where the spots are, but only because as I say I have them marked and just go to those marks, but just keep trying all the rocky points in that area and you should find them eventually. My theory for them being in very specific spots is that they're just feeding on bait that happens to be hanging out in a specific spot. And I've never even been close to the kelp any time I've gotten in to them.

    They certainly can be good eating, that's for sure. I love leaving them whole, slicing some cuts in their sides and marinating with a citrus/herb mixture and then just throwing the whole fish on the grill. Pretty tasty!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Mutt you are killing me LOL. i love them and they are one of my wifes favorites! We grill them as well. pampered chef makes a citrus basil seasoning that is incredible on them. Now i just need to find the black rockfish!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Mutt you are killing me LOL. i love them and they are one of my wifes favorites! We grill them as well. pampered chef makes a citrus basil seasoning that is incredible on them. Now i just need to find the black rockfish!
    Like I say, just keep plugging away. I usually will try a spot for about 5 or 10 minutes and if I don't find something just move to the next point. It always seems to work.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I hear of a lot of people catching black rockfish like gangbusters but i have never been able to find them. We hit the kelp around pogibishi and near Seldovia and never got any. Any pointers anyone can give me? I am NOT asking for your spots just some tips on fishing them as i love eating them!
    Have you caught them before? Perhaps your bait/lure is not appropriate? I always tip my jigs with a piece of herring, seems to get many more bites that way.

    If your having trouble finding them, try trolling like you trolling for salmon, thats actually how i've found my rockfish spots.

  6. #6
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Honestly I've not found the black bass to be picky at all concerning biting. Metal jigs, plastics, spoons, buzz bombs, bait, they'll hit just about anything. The nice thing is since they are shallower you can drop down to lighter tackle.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  7. #7

    Default

    Not to speak for "kgpcr" but before this gets off track, the problem is not what they are biting, but where they are biting. I have fished that stretch for a long time now for black rockfish and you really have to be in the right area for them and if you're off by as little as 100 ft. or so you won't catch them. You can troll for them, but the tidal current runs so quickly along that stretch that all you really need to do is drift. Then when you find them either anchor up, or just keep doing drifts through the same spot.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  8. #8
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,888

    Default

    By the way kgpcr if you noticed on my jig thread I just made some rockfish jigs.
    When you get up here get ahold of me and I can certainly give you some. I don't know how well they work yet but if you want some to test out let me know. These are anywhere from 3.5oz to 8oz or so.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    8oz kodiak jig is my favorite under power lines in tutka bay.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  10. #10
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I look for rocky areas or even better pinnacles ...
    have really tried weed beds.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I hear of a lot of people catching black rockfish like gangbusters but i have never been able to find them. We hit the kelp around pogibishi and near Seldovia and never got any. Any pointers anyone can give me? I am NOT asking for your spots just some tips on fishing them as i love eating them!
    PM headed your way


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    how deep of water do you fish them?

  13. #13

    Default

    Just 10-30 feet is usually enough. You can see them suspended with good sonar.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    how deep of water do you fish them?
    I usually find them in about 70 ft. of water in the 4th of July to Pogi area and you'll find them pretty well distributed throughout the water column, but usually from about 40 or 50 ft. and down. If you have a good fish finder you'll just see them all over your screen. They are very hard to miss.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  15. #15
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Not to speak for "kgpcr" but before this gets off track, the problem is not what they are biting, but where they are biting. I have fished that stretch for a long time now for black rockfish and you really have to be in the right area for them and if you're off by as little as 100 ft. or so you won't catch them. You can troll for them, but the tidal current runs so quickly along that stretch that all you really need to do is drift. Then when you find them either anchor up, or just keep doing drifts through the same spot.
    I would also add when to the equation. I remember one year I brought my diving gear along in our boat. We went out of Seward to the backside of Caine's head and fished for about an hour or so, catching nothing. So I suited up, strapped on a tank and flopped over the side for a little look-see, bring along a hawaiian sling and a small flashlight just in case. I found dozens of black rockfish hanging out in large openings among and even under the large boulders that carpeted the bottom. Didn't take long to "limit out" on blacks. My partner could not believe it when I told him how many fish were down there. I have observed this many times underwater and have concluded that on any given day, anglers are actually hooking about 1 percent of what's down there. Most of the fish just watch the jig or bait go by, showing little interest. I think I was happier not knowing...

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I would also add when to the equation. I remember one year I brought my diving gear along in our boat. We went out of Seward to the backside of Caine's head and fished for about an hour or so, catching nothing. So I suited up, strapped on a tank and flopped over the side for a little look-see, bring along a hawaiian sling and a small flashlight just in case. I found dozens of black rockfish hanging out in large openings among and even under the large boulders that carpeted the bottom. Didn't take long to "limit out" on blacks. My partner could not believe it when I told him how many fish were down there. I have observed this many times underwater and have concluded that on any given day, anglers are actually hooking about 1 percent of what's down there. Most of the fish just watch the jig or bait go by, showing little interest. I think I was happier not knowing...

    -Mike
    Oh boy you've said a mouthful there. I know a guy here in Homer that dives regularly around K-Bay and he said the exact same thing essentially. He's told me of times he's dove off of Glacier Spit and told me that he would lose count of the number of feeder kings he'd see just hanging out there. I've trolled Glacier Spit about a couple of dozen times over the last few years and have yet to catch a king there.

    It's the same thing having my underwater camera system. I can't even count on both of my hands and all my toes the number of times I've had salmon of all types swim up, follow my bait for a minute or so, and then just swim away. If you don't think THAT is frustrating then you have a lot more patience than I do. I've seen whole schools of silvers down there and watched them toy with my bait and not make the slightest attempt to actually grab it.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •