Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on black bear spot/stalk #'s

Default ? on black bear spot/stalk #'s

After sitting here not being able to sleep thinking of how I blew this evenings stalk was just wondering those on here's numbers on how many stalks does it take you usually to make one hit the dirt?

Iv'e been on 3 and watched 1 this spring and only one made it to the freezer.Last year was 10 to 1.Would like to here others succsess rates.Nothing is worse sitting up all night wondering if you would of done this our that.

Sure is a good way to start to get in sheep shape!! Hate the part when you tuck tail and wonder what went wrong on the descent down the mountain through devils club that you didn't notice on the chase up.

I think I just get lucky and manage to connect or help the people I am with connect on black bears. Then again I don't climb mountains after them so that might play a part in it all. I have shot one in the mountains on a sheep hunt and we just let it walk into camp so that didn't count. The rest have been in PWS, on bait stands and one that was pretty close to where you got your big brown bear. One thing I have noticed is if they go into the wood line before we are within range we can sometimes sit down once in a good shooting location and they will pop back out, this does not always work but is worth a shot.

For spot and stalk black bear hunting in mountainous terrain, my stalk-to-kill ratio is terrible. For all the talk about the difficulty of sheep hunting, my sheep stalk success rate is way better than my rate for black bears.

I think the biggest problem is the wind. Seems like we're mostly chasing them in the late afternoon or evening time and that's when the thermals are moving up. It doesn't work out with a bottom approach very often. Those mountains are too darn steep to try and approach from another direction, especially when they're at the top!

mossyhorn, your most likely right, wind is a major factor where putting a stalk on a bear, usually if they wind you, their gone.
    I've gone to great lengths or distances to avoid having bears wind me. Personally I consider it the most important factor in catching a bear.

Sound like it a good time to have a discussion on how to tell wind direction? With out a compass.

Never stalk up always down,this also holds true for throwing grenades
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Never stalk up always down,this also holds true for throwing grenades
    Do you use the grenades when your bullits don't work?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    After sitting here not being able to sleep thinking of how I blew this evenings stalk was just wondering those on here's numbers on how many stalks does it take you usually to make one hit the dirt?

Iv'e been on 3 and watched 1 this spring and only one made it to the freezer.Last year was 10 to 1.Would like to here others succsess rates.Nothing is worse sitting up all night wondering if you would of done this our that.

Sure is a good way to start to get in sheep shape!! Hate the part when you tuck tail and wonder what went wrong on the descent down the mountain through devils club that you didn't notice on the chase up.
    Get up at 5:00 AM and fry bacon and fish for hours. The smell is alluring to bears in every sense of the word.

Dump your bacon grease all over the trees near you camp site.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    mossyhorn, your most likely right, wind is a major factor where putting a stalk on a bear, usually if they wind you, their gone.
    I've gone to great lengths or distances to avoid having bears wind me. Personally I consider it the most important factor in catching a bear.
    I agree a bears sense of smell has to be its number one sense and next being their natural ability to realize something just isn't right, but that mostly applies to brown/grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have shot one in the mountains on a sheep hunt and we just let it walk into camp so that didn't count.
    Yeah that's not fair at all. Two limits of both species could have been had that trip. I think if you're very careful of wind and patient you'll find the odds go way up. And it's better to be kept up late wondering what went wrong on a stalk than wondering how a wounded bear got away. Just think of it like this, the more time you spend stalking them the more you learn their tendencies and the better you become. Best way to learn is hands on.

Kotton,
    3 stalks and harvesting one bear is not bad especially if you are hunting them up on the sides of mountains. Out of the last 13 stalks I have harvested 5 bears. I consider black bears one of the harder animals to get on. The key I have found to having a higher success rate is not going after every bear you see. Wait for them to be in a good position to stalk i.e watch them bed down or if they just pop out to feed. Also finding the spot where you last saw them can be tough, things seem to look different after climbing 1600 ft. I like to take a picture or video from down below which can be used to help find the spot when on the mountain. Way to get after it!

Last fall while goat hunting, I had several bears withing bow range, without even trying. The few times I have tried to spot and stalk a bear on a mountain, I have came down the mountain empty handed
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I haven't been hunting them as a primary target and have only been on two stalks. Both were stalks down from above as we were way up high glassing when we spotted them. In both cases we got very close and one ended in a 50 yd miss due to a damaged sight and steep shot angle while the other ended in a 30 yd hit. They seemed really easy to get on as they were both focused on berries and the setup with wind and cover terrain couldn't have been any better.

I would have to say I have a high ninety percent success when stalking for most all Alaska big game both professionally and personally. I think what it boils down to is that spending so much time out there over the years I have learned to pick and choose when to stalk and when to wait. Lots of variables go into it for me like do I have the time to wait for the critter to be in a better position,does the critter appear to be moving on..is this possibly my last chance. Every animal is different as well as every situation. Bears, especially brown, move so dang much that you most always have to make quick decisions. The big thing for me is to not just rush in there but to be patient with every move,pay attention to elements,pay attention to what critter is doing..feeding...sleeping....travelling..ect. When all else fails simply try anything, sometimes you can break every rule in the book like hunting in the wind,chasing sheep uphill ect.. and still win...

Speaking of up late..... All I can say is just a few more seconds and that sweet cinnamon would be destined for my wall!! Oh well, it was a fun chase and unfortunately he just fed out of the clearing and vanished before a good shooting position was available. It was great to finally get to hang out with you Kotton! My son is trying to convince me to keep him home to go bear hunting tomorrow too.

Ha that cinnamon is keeping me up to,first one I ever seen and I guarantee that is very rare for the area.Come on take the boy out again,he will be on the same hillside.One missed day of school ain't gonna hurt nothing,it will be a field trip!!!

Can I come, fellas? I'm quite a good sherpa.

If you need another packer I'm game, need to break in the new frame.

Think I am gonna head that way on Thursday. Looks like a good way to spend the long weekend. I'm game if anyone wants to join in. Will be the first time I have hunted down there since living here. Am looking forward to the experience. Need to find a place to pitch a tent though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast